Is this really her lung?

Taryn73

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
I came across a post (not on this site) that someone's tortoise has this same bubble like area between the neck and leg and it was from pneumonia. Her one bubble turned into three and the vet had to prescribe 2 different antibiotics for it. The pics are of my girl and I only see the one bubble on one side when she sticks her neck out. It's not hard either. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm a little worried now although my girl is acting completely normal and no signs of a RI. I try not to read into info other than this site because of so much misinformation and it just gives me anxiety. Thank you!!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240207_222824725.jpg
    PXL_20240207_222824725.jpg
    918.3 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240207_222816950.jpg
    PXL_20240207_222816950.jpg
    1,010.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240207_222811186.jpg
    PXL_20240207_222811186.jpg
    909.3 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240207_222843433.jpg
    PXL_20240207_222843433.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 5

Taryn73

Florida
I thought goiters are usually on the bottom of the neck? It's very soft. Not hard. Almost like it's full of air. There is no resistance when I push it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I thought goiters are usually on the bottom of the neck? It's very soft. Not hard. Almost like it's full of air. There is no resistance when I push it.
I did too. When I looked goiters up in tortoises, there was a few pictures of them further back and kinda on the side not bottom. Mostly in larger species though.
Just a thought.

Taryn73

Florida
I wonder why a vet would prescribe antibiotics for an undetermined condition.
Where in Florida are you?
I have an excellent vet in Deerfield Beach
It wasn't actually my tortoise that was treated. I just saw the post and was concerned bc mine has it too. You wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out. From the post I saw, the vet said it was her lungs bulging out from pneumonia. Not sure if that is actually the case. I'm hoping not! I'm in Bradenton Florida. I take them to Dr. Mossler who is an exotic vet. I haven't taken her yet. Not sure how far Deerfield Beach is from me. Mine is probably going to be retiring soon. 😩

zovick

10 Year Member!
I came across a post (not on this site) that someone's tortoise has this same bubble like area between the neck and leg and it was from pneumonia. Her one bubble turned into three and the vet had to prescribe 2 different antibiotics for it. The pics are of my girl and I only see the one bubble on one side when she sticks her neck out. It's not hard either. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm a little worried now although my girl is acting completely normal and no signs of a RI. I try not to read into info other than this site because of so much misinformation and it just gives me anxiety. Thank you!!!
I have noticed this same thing in many tortoises I have had. None of them ever had a problem from it. It seems like a normal thing to me. Not sure exactly what it is (a gland, a lymph node, muscles, blood vessels under the surface?), but I believe it is nothing to worry about in the case of your tortoise.

Vet visit is most likely totally unnecessary.

Taryn73

Florida
I have noticed this same thing in many tortoises I have had. None of them ever had a problem from it. It seems like a normal thing to me. Not sure exactly what it is (a gland, muscles, blood vessels under the surface?), but I believe it is nothing to worry about in the case of your tortoise.

Vet visit is most likely totally unnecessary.
Thank you!! I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this in their tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That is the exact location where I have given many tortoises different injections.
It's not a lung. There are no organs up in that area from what I understand.
Keep an eye on it for a change in size, color, discharge or visible discomfort by your RF.
I'd also hold off on the vet visit. But it may give you peace of mind. Since your vet is a trusted one.

Taryn73

Florida
That is the exact location where I have given many tortoises different injections.
It's not a lung. There are no organs up in that area from what I understand.
Keep an eye on it for a change in size, color, discharge or visible discomfort by your RF.
I'd also hold off on the vet visit. But it may give you peace of mind. Since your vet is a trusted one.
I think I'll hold off on the vet
and do like you said. Thank you!!

Taryn73

Florida
I found the post I came across that had me concerned. She took it to the vet and they said it is the air cavity but no health concerns. They think it is just stretched out skin and scarring from previous pneumonia. 🤔 I have a vet appointment in two weeks. Curious to see what he says.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224-090359.png
    Screenshot_20240224-090359.png
    269.3 KB · Views: 1