Is this light too close?

Domm

Location (City and/or State)
PA
My general rule of thumb has always been that if the tap water is safe for you to drink and bathe in, then its safe for the tortoise. I've never used any type of water conditioner for my tortoises. Tap water and well water for mine.

Okay perfect, i'm off to Lowes today to get some plants for the enclosure , any suggestions? Aloe and spider plants are safe for babies right?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay perfect, i'm off to Lowes today to get some plants for the enclosure , any suggestions? Aloe and spider plants are safe for babies right?
You can't use store bough decorative plants. They are grown with systemic pesticides that are taken up into the plants tissues. The toxins last for a year and can't be washed off. You have to grow your own from seed, or take cuttings from long established plants. Plants intended for human consumption should be safe for your tortoise, but make sure those are safe as far as toxicity (I'm talking to YOU tomato leaves...), and I'm don't know how well they'll do under our indoor tortoise lighting.

My tortoises either eat or trample any plants I try to use in their indoor enclosures, including plastic or silk ones, and these are the reasons my indoor enclosures are so barren looking. With encouragement from @Markw84 and many examples from @Yvonne G , I'm working on adding some plants. My wife has been starting lots of cuttings from some of our older houseplants for me, and we will see how it goes. For me, indoor enclosures are just a temporary measure for a year or two to get them large enough to live outside full time. Outdoors is where I do my planting and cultivation.

Domm

PA
You can't use store bough decorative plants. They are grown with systemic pesticides that are taken up into the plants tissues. The toxins last for a year and can't be washed off. You have to grow your own from seed, or take cuttings from long established plants. Plants intended for human consumption should be safe for your tortoise, but make sure those are safe as far as toxicity (I'm talking to YOU tomato leaves...), and I'm don't know how well they'll do under our indoor tortoise lighting.

My tortoises either eat or trample any plants I try to use in their indoor enclosures, including plastic or silk ones, and these are the reasons my indoor enclosures are so barren looking. With encouragement from @Markw84 and many examples from @Yvonne G , I'm working on adding some plants. My wife has been starting lots of cuttings from some of our older houseplants for me, and we will see how it goes. For me, indoor enclosures are just a temporary measure for a year or two to get them large enough to live outside full time. Outdoors is where I do my planting and cultivation.

That did cross my mind that store bought plants have harsh chemicals . I do have some plants I propogated myself from cuttings, as old as 5-10 years old. I have spider plants I grew myself. I might just add some tiny plants in ceramic pots to add scenery . Sadly I live in the tri-state area and my tort will never see a permanent outdoor enclosure. He was incubated to be a male and the breeder said Male Eastern Hermanns only get around 5 inches so i'm hoping to give him the best indoor space since hes so small.

The weather is warming up here so I plan to put his tub on my patio on sunny days (supervised of course)

franklin444

U.S.A
I think that will be a little too close. Also havign the light just laying there is risky because it could fall and hurt or even kill your tortoise with just one tiny little bump

Domm

PA
Yes I
I think that will be a little too close. Also havign the light just laying there is risky because it could fall and hurt or even kill your tortoise with just one tiny little bump

Yes for sure , There’s about four inches of plastic above the light I might punch some holes and hoop the stand through

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Yes the price is not the issue, this light doesn't have holes or hooks to use on the stands. I have two zoo med metal stands and there is no where to insert it. I think i'm going to Lowes to get supplies. I'm going to make a frame that stands above the enclosure.

You're right , my biggest worry is it falling inside and hurting the little guy.... You think they'd make every light with a hook right.

I guess it depends on what the screws are attached to/how they're holding it together, but you should be able to replace 2 of them with screw eyes or eyebolts.

Domm

PA
"Sri-State area"!!! I thought only Dr. Doofenschmirtz said that!

Hey do you think the nighttime temp is too low at 63F? The humidity is at 80 but is below 70 too cold for the hatchling

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey do you think the nighttime temp is too low at 63F? The humidity is at 80 but is below 70 too cold for the hatchling
In theory, 63 should be fine as long as the baby can warm up each day. To be safe, you might want to keep it closer to 70 at least for a little while as the baby settles in and gets comfortable.

Domm

PA
In theory, 63 should be fine as long as the baby can warm up each day. To be safe, you might want to keep it closer to 70 at least for a little while as the baby settles in and gets comfortable.

Do you suggest I get one of those CHE? Maybe the 100w one? Thanks for the help . The temp dropped to 61 last night

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you suggest I get one of those CHE? Maybe the 100w one? Thanks for the help . The temp dropped to 61 last night
Yes. I would. Also get a thermostat ands set it to about 70. You don't want it warm at night for a temperate species, just not too cool.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Night heat is not recommended for Testudo species (as per Chris Leone), you would be better off warming the room rather than the enclosure. also, my temps dip into the high 60's from time to time and my tort seems to have no issues. he just gets up and out under the basking light a lot quicker in the morning.

Domm

PA
So now it’s summer it’s a tad warmer at night , last night it dipped to 62. Humidity stayed at 80% I live in the northeast so sometimes even in my apartment it hits 50 inside with the heat on . It’s also a hatchling so not sure if that matters.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
My western hermanns is less than 1 year and he's survived his first NY winter, I used a space heater some nights in the room he was in. Are you putting a lid or top over his enclosure at night? it will help keep the heat in as well as make the humidity go into the 90's as well.

Domm

PA
So you’re in the tri-state area awesome ! I do put the lid on I leave it a little cracked but it still got really cold last night even in the summer

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Night heat is not recommended for Testudo species (as per Chris Leone)...
And in most circumstances I agree with him, but not for a small baby, under the stress of transport and a new environment, in a room that is dropping down into the low 60s with damp substrate where the evaporative cooling is probably dropping the temp into the 50s at night.

Chris, and every body else, will recommend night heat in any enclosure that is getting too cold. What he's saying is that we shouldn't be keeping them at 80 degrees at night like a tropical species. That doesn't mean that unusually low temps are good for them. In a normal room, at "room temp" I wouldn't recommend night heat either.

Domm

PA
Yes just to be safe I’m going to get one of the CHE today . I guess I’ll lower it to the enclosure and close the lid partially .... Or try to cut a hole in the lid . But I’m going to do that now .

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
And in most circumstances I agree with him, but not for a small baby, under the stress of transport and a new environment, in a room that is dropping down into the low 60s with damp substrate where the evaporative cooling is probably dropping the temp into the 50s at night.

Chris, and every body else, will recommend night heat in any enclosure that is getting too cold. What he's saying is that we shouldn't be keeping them at 80 degrees at night like a tropical species. That doesn't mean that unusually low temps are good for them. In a normal room, at "room temp" I wouldn't recommend night heat either.
Tom, I wasn't trying to start an argument or a controversy. I was simply saying the overall room should be warmed, not the enclosure (at night) as per Chris' recommendation.