Is this hurting them? (fan in closed chamber)

Status
Not open for further replies.

haidao88

5 Year Member
I purchased a little hand fan and rigged it I was just wondering if the hummin noise the motor makes will hurt my torts ear. The reason I ask is because it's not loud but kinda annoying to me but if it's fine to them then I don't mind

My tortoise Peach hates apples
Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

abclements

5 Year Member
Re: Is this hurting them,please help thank you

What is the fan for? Fans can be very detrimental to humidity retention. Wind from a fan will dry out your tort just like high winds dry out our skin. So even if it's not annoying your tort, it probably isn't helping him be happy

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

haidao88

5 Year Member
Is this hurting them,please help thank you

It's a little one help to circulate air I heard it helps with mold reducation, I could be wrong

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Is this hurting them,please help thank you

I don't think the noise will bother your tortoises, but I agree with Drew. Unless all the air in the room that your enclosure is in is as warm and humid as the air in the enclosure, you are going to dry out and cool him and the enclosure. Is it an open topped enclosure? Are you having mold issues?

haidao88

5 Year Member

I'm not having mold issues but don't want any , also it's a closed chamber and the fan is mounted inside hitting the corner of the wall and then travels around

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

The circulation of air is only with the air inside the tank not new air from outside in.

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

erica anne

5 Year Member

I think using proper substrate would eliminate chances of mold growth. I use coco coir and keep it pretty damp and have not seen any hint of mold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Is this hurting them,please help thank you

I wouldn't put a fan inside a closed chamber. Can't give you a good reason, just not something I would do.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have heard of people using computer fans since they are very small and quite, but a hand fan might be overkill.

0.1.0 Dachshund
0.0.1 Redfoot
1.0.0 Greek

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I wouldn't use a fan in the closed chamber either.
I use regular dirt from my yard and have never had mold.

There is an old myth that aquariums, vivariums and closed chambers are bad for torts because of low air circulation. Is this why you put a fan in? If so, rest assured that it is not needed. Your torts will get enough air exchange each time you open the door to give food and water.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

haidao88

5 Year Member
Team Gomberg said:

There is an old myth that aquariums, vivariums and closed chambers are bad for torts because of low air circulation. Is this why you put a fan in? If so, rest assured that it is not needed. Your torts will get enough air exchange each time you open the door to give food and water.

Heather

Yes this is the mainly reason.... I removed the fan already, did rigged a small laptop fan to it but it gave out after 2 months.. I love to read before I put work into action... Which sometimes gives me too much information and confuse me lol... I use pure Cyprus mulch with a layer of river rocks at the bottom for water flow drainage

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
haidao88 said:
Team Gomberg said:

Heather

Yes this is the mainly reason.... I removed the fan already,

Well, glad you now know that it isn't needed and you removed it. You're better off without it ;)

haidao88

5 Year Member
Thanks lol

Mario loves Peaches
0.0.2 redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.