Is this enclosure okay for my baby sucalta

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
It's not big enough, and the light needs to hang straight down.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Make at least a 3x6 or 4x8 this would last a while. Rectangle is better then square, more room and better to control temp zones. Daily outings when temps are warm is always good too. As for the water, pet stores don't have a clue what they are talking about. It needs water 24/7 and you should be soaking in warm water daily for 20-30 minute.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
I would make it out of wood and line the inside with plastic. Wood is much cheaper and you can go much bigger for less money.

There not the prettiest but they are functional. And they are easy enough to assemble.

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Definitely try for some type of a closed chamber instead of a tortoise table. It'll help keep your heat and humidity more than most things.

Kasia

Poland
Lots of people use transparent enclosure materials without issue. I think glass-confusion is overblown.
My two torts try to walk through even semi transparent plastic tub while soaking so for some it can be an issue

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Speedy was in a 60 gallon tank when we got him ,seeing through the glass has never been an issue ! :) The size is 4 ft. by 20 " deep by 17 " high . It worked at the size your tort is , but I have always given Speedy as much outside time as possible . ;)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your sulcata will turn into a 100lb bulldozer in a few years. They grow ... a lot. Get the biggest you can

Luke leith

5 Year Member
I can't get a really big tank so could I house him outside all the time I have been working on my outside enclosure and it is almost done I just need a humid hide box and a heated box for nighttime

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
I think one of the issues with housing a hatchling outside is that you're going to struggle with humidity levels and it will likely lead to your tort becoming pyramided. Plus, I'd be very worried about predators getting my hatchling. You'd have to make a very secure enclosure--which isn't impossible to do. But humidity will definitely be problematic for you when they're young. You'd have better luck housing an older tort, a juvenile or yearling, outside than you would a hatchling.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I can't get a really big tank so could I house him outside all the time I have been working on my outside enclosure and it is almost done I just need a humid hide box and a heated box for nighttime
You don't have to use a tank. You can use plastic tubs, which can be bought cheaply. You can cut holes in the sides to connect more than one together, and cover the top with foil. Most tanks are tall and all that space is wasted. You need more floor space.

Where are you located? If you are in a mild, humid area, you might be able to house him outside provided the enclosure is safe from predators, even from the top.

Luke leith

5 Year Member
It is secure enough but I need better lighting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30

Sara G.

Long Island, New York
Do you have racoons in your area? Because if so, then I would definitely argue that it's secure enough. Yes, it's secure to prevent your hatchling from getting out, but it might not be secure from keeping things from getting in.