Is this enclosure okay for my baby sucalta

Luke leith

5 Year Member
i have had him since June 1 last year he is doing really well I was Just wondering if this was humid enough:D

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I only see one dish and it doesn't look like it has water in it. They need water 24/7 humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 with a basking spot of 95-100. The enclosure looks small, what is the dimensions?

Luke leith

5 Year Member
I only see one dish and it doesn't look like it has water in it. They need water 24/7 humidity of 80% and temps no lower then 80 with a basking spot of 95-100. The enclosure looks small, what is the dimensions?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The white rock looking thing, I would remove it, to give more walking room. Make sure there is a low sided clay saucer big enough for him to get into and self soak should be want. IT does not look to be humid at all, everything looks pretty dry

Luke leith

5 Year Member
The place I got him from said not to put a bowl of water in it because they said he could drowned

Luke leith

5 Year Member
The place I got him from said not to put a bowl of water in he could drowned

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
The thing about water "bowls" is true for drowning. A small Terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate at ground level works very well as a water dish. What type of substrate are you using? Is that an MVB ? How far is it mounted from tortoise height and what is the temperature at tortoise height? (The top of the shell). Young tortoises can dehydrate very quickly.

Luke leith

5 Year Member
The thing about water "bowls" is true for drowning. A small Terra cotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate at ground level works very well as a water dish. What type of substrate are you using? Is that an MVB ? How far is it mounted from tortoise height and what is the temperature at tortoise height? (The top of the shell). Young tortoises can dehydrate very quickly.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Cypress mulch is fine I use it for many torts. Your temps seem okay 95ish is a good set point. The substrate is OK you just need to get it moistened. The enclosure is a bit small... You need to have one large enough to have "zones" or gradient. Basically a warm\ basking side 95 basking ,87-93 warm end cool end maybe 80-85. I never let any of my African species drop below 81' day or night. Typically a 36x18x12 size is good for the first one\ two years of life for any tort. But it can depend on growth. I have two leopards that are under two years that are in a 3x4x3 and a 4x4x3. Tortoises walk large distances in the wild looking for food\ moist hiding places.