Is this early pyramiding?

Liltortivert

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi,

I got this tort maybe a week ago and I was wondering if he had a little pyramiding going on or this was just normal growth for a greek. We've been following the tortoise caresheet and was worried about thr little guy. I've been keeping him moist and soaked and I'm constantly checking then humidity levels. I know natural growth won't be 100% polished smooth but still I want to make sure I make whatever adjustments are necessary before its too late. Figure better proactive than reactive.

In the photos he is being fed a mix of mustard greens and arugula. He will be fed a diverse diet for the rest of his life based on the diet guides found here.
20201120_131741.jpg
20201117_135125.jpg
20201120_095232.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,

I got this tort maybe a week ago and I was wondering if he had a little pyramiding going on or this was just normal growth for a greek. We've been following the tortoise caresheet and was worried about thr little guy. I've been keeping him moist and soaked and I'm constantly checking then humidity levels. I know natural growth won't be 100% polished smooth but still I want to make sure I make whatever adjustments are necessary before its too late. Figure better proactive than reactive.

In the photos he is being fed a mix of mustard greens and arugula. He will be fed a diverse diet for the rest of his life based on the diet guides found here.
View attachment 311492
View attachment 311493
View attachment 311494
Yes, this tortoise has pyramiding. Keep it in a humid environment and soak it daily for 20-30 minutes and it should not get worse.

Liltortivert

California
Yes, this tortoise has pyramiding. Keep it in a humid environment and soak it daily for 20-30 minutes and it should not get worse.
Ah damn that sucks. Thank you tho. During the day his humid area is sitting 80-85% and his "dry" area is around 70%. Thinking about getting some sheet plastic to increase the humidity but not sure if that's overkill or will cause air exchange issues/mold.

I also try to soak him twice daily but I know the only humidity he got before us was from soaks and a water dish. He was kept pretty dry :/. And I'm pretty sure he was kept on alfalfa pellets SMH. I know its irreversible but should I up his calcium intake or would a cuttlebone be enough?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Ah damn that sucks. Thank you tho. During the day his humid area is sitting 80-85% and his "dry" area is around 70%. Thinking about getting some sheet plastic to increase the humidity but not sure if that's overkill or will cause air exchange issues/mold.

I also try to soak him twice daily but I know the only humidity he got before us was from soaks and a water dish. He was kept pretty dry :/. And I'm pretty sure he was kept on alfalfa pellets SMH. I know its irreversible but should I up his calcium intake or would a cuttlebone be enough?

Soaking once a day is plenty. Do the soak in the morning and then put the tortoise in front of its pile of food. You do probably need higher humidity overall , though.

Personally, I always sprinkled my tortoises' food with both Herptivite Vitamins and Ultrafine Rep-Cal (the type with Vitamin D3) EVERY DAY. Very few of my tortoises ever touched the cuttlebones I kept in with them other than to walk on them or defecate on them. To me the cuttlebones seemed to be a waste of $$.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
He is small so from now on the new growth will be smoother if you hydrate via humidity and regular shallow water soaks. Also wash fresh leaves with water to Increase water intake. Calcium is purely adding shell / bone strength not going to prevent pyramid and should only be a dusting a couple of time a week. I have cuttle fish to in the enclosure and most if the time they are unused decoration and regularly trampled Occasionally I find beak marks so have it available. Enjoy looking after your tortoise and I recommend keeping a weekly weight log to monitor growth. Care sheets are great and will help.