Recognizing early pyramiding, close-up pics

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I found some pics of when we first got Odin, he was @ 2months old at the time and is now 10 months. I took a couple of pics today in an effort to compare the size difference via my hand as an approximate measuring device and that is when I saw it. The pyramiding from a less than ideal (see, dry) start, in retrospect, is pretty obvious even at that stage. I had no knowledge of torts at that time, I thought he was perfect....well, he was, and is, but I think you know what I mean. Looking back, knowing what I know now (thanks to all of you! And looking @Tom in particular) I can now recognize that oh so subtle difference in our Odin's shell as opposed to those started in a more humid environment.
Now, he is a little small, still perfect in my eyes (i'm a little small too!), but I think you will all agree that the new growth is pretty stunning and he is certainly a much happier and healthier tort thanks to all of you.
Well, he wasn't happy in these pics because I interrupted his soaking time, but you get the picture.

Listen to Tom and the others!!!!!!!!
10986834_10206462578503198_4154578874686237755_n.jpg 11080977_10206462572503048_1650707142435268239_n.jpg 1507795_10206462573503073_952726056349099396_n.jpg
048.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow, nice growth. He and you will never notice that bad start growth when he is bigger. He's looking beautiful now too.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
He's turning out just beautiful! What a color!
I know, right?!? I think he just gets more gorgeous every day, but I still cringe to think of what he could have looked like if I hadn't found you and this place. THANK YOU! *hug*
Wow, nice growth. He and you will never notice that bad start growth when he is bigger. He's looking beautiful now too.

That was the point of the thread. If people can just, for the sake of the tort, look beyond what "the breeder" told them (some should not be allowed to call themselves that) and see the difference that just 8 short months, early on, of proper diet and humidity can make, they will hopefully understand. Right food and right humidity have made all the difference in the world!

I know for many it's hard to see in the early pics, but the darker, new growth, was noticeably sunken next to his scutes, and it is still there, it doesn't go away. Don't feel bad for not seeing it, tort newbs, I didn't either! But the earlier you correct the issues, the more improvement you can make!

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
BTW, the saleperson who sold him to my son and his girlfriend (I won't call him a breeder) said a plastic tote, a package of hay, some lettuce and "a rep light" was really all he needed. No mention of water, substrate, or anything else! UGH!

I kind of want to track this guy down and smack him in the head with that plastic tote, but that is my own cross to bear.......

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually a plastic tote is recommended as a good first enclosure for hatchlings. The rest was not good info. Btw, you could spend a life time smacking people in the head that gives out that same bad care info, it's sad.

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
Actually a plastic tote is recommended as a good first enclosure for hatchlings. The rest was not good info. Btw, you could spend a life time smacking people in the head that gives out that same bad care info, it's sad.
I know about the plastic tote early on, but why was there no mention of anything beyond the first couple of months? He was roughly 2 months old when they got him! Had I not been such an obsessively over-involved tort-grandma he may still be in that plastic tote! (The kids know how I am, and they told me to find out what I could. Good on them!)

SO much head smacking....