Is this an okay substrate?

DaygonWolf

Right now I'm using Timothy hay and I mist it every day to keep my tort from getting to dry but not like soaking the hay so it won't mold or rot or anything like that! And I have separate dark greens and those yellow daisy leaves I think it's daisies I can't remember their yellow and round and add some somewhat moist cut up hay in a food dish for him with very very small pieces of skins of a carrot I used a small cheese grater so he doesn't get to much but he eats the hay with it I think because of the colors so I was just wondering is Timothy hay okay for a substrate? At least while he's very very young he loves to burrow in it also!

Oh and this is him ImageUploadedByTortForum1392048807.009045.jpg
His name is Zeus.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
I personally don't think you can keep hay moist enough to hold humidity that is needed for young ones. Do you, to counter this hay issue, have a higher humidity hide area for him?

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Not only will you not be able to keep the humidity up with hay but if you try to the hay will mold. I'd suggest coconut coir.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your baby is already starting to pyramid due to his dry conditions with his previous keeper. Get him on something that you can actually WET. Forget about misting and spraying. WET it. Then partially cover the habitat to keep that warm, moist air inside.