Is this a Russian turtle? Dude showed up in our yard...

unclanrhino

Hello all, and thanks in advance for your help!

A day after a neighbor's sandy field was plowed, this guy comes stumbling into our yard... We have posted him on fidoalert and other lost pet places with no response. We are going to keep him unless someone comes forward... In which case we will buy another one because apparently tortoises are awesome and our family loves 'em...!

We have 1/2 acre of land and have much experience with animals ranging from ducks, bearded dragons, chickens, rabbits, snakes, etc. etc. but never a tortoise!!! We have already made him a ~8x8 fully enclosed, walk-in, open-air enclosure, and are working on making it a complete habitat with flagstone, small shallow pond, underground hideout, and live plants to graze on. :D

Questions:

1) It's a male for sure, and we're 80% sure it's a Russian... Is it?
2) Is there a way to estimate how old it might be?
3) We caught him chomping on our yellow African capeweed flowers (leaves seen in background of picture)... Is capeweed good for these guys or should we be worried?
4) We have not a name yet, if anyone can think of a good one!? :) :)

Turtle.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Yes, it's a Russian.

I couldn't find anything on reptiles and cape weed, but for mammals it says this:

Toxicity:

Cattle, sheep, pigs and horses are affected.
It can accumulate nitrate levels high enough (2-4.7% dry matter) to cause toxicity to stock especially after spraying with hormone herbicides like 2,4-D. Early season spraying in warmer temperatures and in dull weather is associated with increased risk of toxicity. Avoid grazing with horses, pigs and young or breeding stock. Animals that have suffered previous nutritional stress appear to be more susceptible to poisoning.
May cause both nitrate and nitrite poisoning. Stressed, starved and unaccustomed stock are most susceptible.
Ruminants feeding on capeweed may scour but the causes are not clear.
Woolly seeds in unopened buds may cause hair balls and deaths in sheep.
May cause nasal granuloma in cattle that inhale pollen laden air for extended periods.
Causes hay fever and contact dermatitis in some humans.

unclanrhino

Yvonne G -- thanks for your confirmation! And I will be keeping him away from the capeweed to be safe. I see you're in Clovis, we're in a similar climate as you, a smidgen cooler I think, up near Antioch CA... Any tips would be welcome!

JoesMum -- Yes thank you, like I mentioned briefly above; we have posted him on many lost pet sites for our area and reported him also to the county. Unfortunately we're in a rapidly growing area and are surrounded by some of the last open fields in our area, so unfortunately we get pets 'released' to us... Priority is still getting him back to his home, in the meantime we want to make him a safe healthy habitat! :D I'm hoping someone just doesn't realize he's gone yet, maybe he had been hibernating and not closely monitored...

Is there any way to estimate his age? He's definitely full-grown for a Russian at ~10"...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Age is anyone's guess. There is absolutely no telling unless you know a hatch date.

Adult is the best we can say. Ten inches is big for a Russian. Right at the maximum.

This tort will certainly not settle in an indoor enclosure and will need a large, and very secure because they're expert climbers, outdoor enclosure.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Unless Russian s are one of the exceptions, one tort is best. Unless you want to risk having to make multiple enclosures. Tortoises in general are solitary animals and will try to run food competition out of town by stalking, flipping and sitting on top of others until they are stressed so much they stop eating.

They do well in groups though. 1 male to several females. Or just a bunch of females.

To know if male or female we need a plastron pic(slightly sideways) and an underside pic of tail extended.

He's probably from nearby. Within a mile or two so if you post flyers of "found tortoise" his owners may call

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Russians aren't an exception. They're aggressively territorial, probably one of the worst species, and don't do well with others

He'll be happiest on his own. Any other tort will be on the losing end of a big old Russian like this.

unclanrhino

Thanks for the input all! I will stop wondering how old he is - I was counting the rings on his shell o_O but kept losing count! ;)

We do plan on keeping him isolated, and his cage is secure with wire fence buried ~12" deep (is that deep enough?)

Someone in our household is attempting to make an argument to house a small rabbit in there with him since they enjoy the same food and habitat... Any thoughts? I read mixed views on the internet about having tortoises with rabbits. Most objectors have no stated reasons, while advocates of the idea seem very logical with much experience of success with it. Some even stating that the rabbit droppings are a potential 'OK' source of tort food lol.... True? Please link any opinions with facts.

Also, now that I know it's a Russian, I can find the diet guides I need, but, if there was one or two foods to always keep handy for them, what would it be?

Thanks again guys!!!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks for the input all! I will stop wondering how old he is - I was counting the rings on his shell o_O but kept losing count! ;)

We do plan on keeping him isolated, and his cage is secure with wire fence buried ~12" deep (is that deep enough?)

Someone in our household is attempting to make an argument to house a small rabbit in there with him since they enjoy the same food and habitat... Any thoughts? I read mixed views on the internet about having tortoises with rabbits. Most objectors have no stated reasons, while advocates of the idea seem very logical with much experience of success with it. Some even stating that the rabbit droppings are a potential 'OK' source of tort food lol.... True? Please link any opinions with facts.

Also, now that I know it's a Russian, I can find the diet guides I need, but, if there was one or two foods to always keep handy for them, what would it be?

Thanks again guys!!!
My friend runs a small pet rescue. Rabbits don't have the same habitat requirements.

Rabbits also need other rabbits for company. Unlike torts they're social. They need another rabbit, not a guinea pig and definitely not a tort, for company.

Some torts do eat poop. We discourage if at all possible as it's the fastest way of your tort getting gut parasites.

You will find all sorts on the internet some of it right, some of it wrong and some of it dangerous. You have to decide who your trusted sources are.

We know our torts on here. I trust my best friend on rabbits and guinea pigs; we frequently end up advising each other!

Greta16

Western Maine

Thanks again guys!!!
Go in to species specific on here and you will find Russians and a cate guide. If you have dandelions in your yard, mulberry, hibiscus, grape leaves, roses (leaves and flowers)...