Is this a dandelion

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
You’ve got some dollarweed in there, the one with the round leaves; sometimes known are marsh pennywort. Safe, although your tortoise may not care for them.

There are other plants known under this name, they get confused because they look very similar. Both are fine.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Yes, I suppose why it’s named dollarweed, because it grows like a weed. :)

My (small) Russian has a hard time with them because they are so flat; they are hard to get off the ground for a bite if you are feeding them by hand/indoors. I think they might only be easy to get at if the tortoise is grazing them outside.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
@Triplejester, can you see this plant, down at the bottom left of your photo?

9D4AAAE2-9911-41EE-B877-B85BCEC33272.jpeg

Do you have any of it that isn’t cut by your mower (I assume that’s what it is)? I think it might be buttercup. Which is safe for Russians, despite what you may read elsewhere. A food they grow up with. My Russian ate the few I grew for her down to the ground in three days so she doesn’t get any more!

Triplejester

Louisiana
@Triplejester, can you see this plant, down at the bottom left of your photo?

View attachment 287656

Do you have any of it that isn’t cut by your mower (I assume that’s what it is)? I think it might be buttercup. Which is safe for Russians, despite what you may read elsewhere. A food they grow up with. My Russian ate the few I grew for her down to the ground in three days so she doesn’t get any more!
Does it have any flowers. I have so many different types of weeds in my yard and absolutely have no idea what they are. Never really paid attention until I got my tort.

Randy Micheals

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
British columbia
Good to know about Buttercup. We were always told it was toxic to our cows, but its everywhere in the pasture and they never seemed to eat it. I'm finding out that many things toxic to mammals are a-ok for torts.

I have so many different types of weeds in my yard and absolutely have no idea what they are. Never really paid attention until I got my tort.

Same here, its amazing the gathering skills you will pick up haha. A lot of it is edible for people too, might come in handy some day?

If you havnt already tried it, someone recommended an App to me, called Plantsnap; You take a pic with your phone and it gives you an idea of what plant it might be. BUT its often not accurate, and also depends on photo angle and quality, so use with caution.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Buttercup is in the ranaculus family, which is always listed as a no go in the Tortoise Table. That said, many of our Testudo tortoise owners allow their tortoises to graze on it with no harm and it is a heavy part of the wild Russian diet. Here is a link to part of a scientific journal article on the wild diet: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/article-steppe-tortoise-diet-in-the-wild.30230/.

The native diet contains another big No-No—poppies.

As I said earlier, my Russian loved if; if I had a local supply for her I would feed it. I’m a very casual feeder though, It’s always good to be cautious as a new owner; no need to feed it if it makes you uncomfortable.

Last edited:

Triplejester

Louisiana
Well, I think I'm just going to let him live in the back yard!? Thanks so much for the help. Being a new dad make me nervous but I'm getting there.

Triplejester

Louisiana
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving him outdoors in Louisiana. To much unstable weather and not to mention the predators.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
No, of course you wouldn't want him in an insecure, exposed place; safe enclosures take time and effort to put together. And you'll still want a an indoor enclosure for bad weather if you don't hibernate. But the more they can be in the sun and walking around, the healthier they will be.

Maybe something to think about a year from now; when you feel you've got the basics handled. :)