Is the one on the left a russian?

surfergirl

I have a hard time telling the difference between a russian and a greek, hermanns unless they are wild caught. Obviously the one on the right is a wc russian but still wondering about the cb one on the left. Looks similar but the carapace is more domed and the shell shapes are more elongated.

Hopefully someone here can give me a positive identification. I hope to gain a better understanding of what is different about them except for size and a different shell shape espcially when they get older.

Thanks and hope everyone is enjoying their Christmas Day or whatever Holiday it may be for everyone.

surfergirl

They are only together to take a picture. I am fully aware of the need to play solitare. Especially if they are different species as well.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
the one on the left is not a Russian

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one on the right is a russian, but the other one is either a Greek or Hermann. I have trouble telling them apart because I don't keep those species.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The one on the left is a Hermanns, the shell shape and coloration is completely different.
(But I don't see any differences between wc and properly raised cb tortoises.)

Last edited:

surfergirl

The wc are usually rougher on the cosmetic side is all i meant by my wc / cb comment. Nature is far rougher on the shells than properly raised captive tortoises. :) the ( one on the left) which has a much more crisp shiny shell with very even large growth rings with a tad of raised scutes (probably not enough humitity, or too much protein with whomever started him off in the world.

Their personalities are very similar except the russian is a pushy broad....she cracks me up, she is so active and full of vigor. He is active but laid back active. There has been zero aggressive between them but if he is a greek he is probably not sexually mature yet i am guessing because they are a larger tort at 10" or more inches. Gotta read more up on the Mediterraneans i guess. This is great thought i was adopting one more breed of tort and instead i end up with two.

turtlemanfla88

Take one of the pics and put under Hermanns Chris will be able to tell which species of Hermanns it is. I keep Russians in FL we are in the 80's and males are in full combat mode. I had male and female draw blood on each in a matter of minutes it only during Spring and early Summer rest of year everyone gets along,but besides parasites that is other reason to keep separate.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
The wc are usually rougher on the cosmetic side is all i meant by my wc / cb comment. Nature is far rougher on the shells than properly raised captive tortoises. :) the ( one on the left) which has a much more crisp shiny shell with very even large growth rings with a tad of raised scutes (probably not enough humitity, or too much protein with whomever started him off in the world.

You are right, most cb torts look like you Hermanns: extremely pale with an artificially shiny looking shell.
But I feel sorry for them, in my opinion a properly raised tortoise should be allowed to sunbathe in a large outdoor enclosure, dig into real dirt, climb over rocks and hide under thorny plants whenever they want to. Living a full life like they would do in the wild.

surfergirl

Don't worry about any of mine they will live so close to the natural they won't know they are captive. :). I will have a huge outdoor enclosure for them both in the spring. my plan is to make a few different large enclosures per tortoise so i can move them to and from the same ones letting the vegetation recoup and to keep them from being bored with the same stuff. I have no plans to be a breeder or a collector of too many because i know space is very important. my plan is to hibernate them in the winters to avoid having them deal with the indoors too much. this year i have to make sure they are healthy and ready for next year. I have a huge sunroom though, grows avacados, pineapples and lemons it gets so much southside sun so that will be where they are if they have to come in. I am all about leaving them outside cause i don't like being in the house either.:)

dannylozano10

San Antonio,tx
I have heard to keep my uvb lamp and basking light on for 12 hours a day is this correct? Or should I leave my I've light on all night too. (haven't got my tortoise yet)

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Danny

Welcome and Happy Birthday. if your tortoise is being kept indoors, yes, you should have the lights on 12 - 14 hours a day. It should be dark yet still warm at night. Please look at the links for proper care under the type of tortoise you have. Also, just a note as you referred to uvb lamp. Be sure it is not the coil type fluorescent bulb. The long tubes or Mercury Vapor are they type to use for uvb