Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bristol, UK
Hi everyone,

I have a question for you…

My little sulcata (I have her since 3 weeks!) seems to be really scared of people: she doesn’t eat from hands and she stops moving if she “heard” someone entering the room.
To me this behaviour is strange: my other tortoises love to eat from hands and as soon as they understand someone is approaching their enclosure they come close to the fence.
Do you think she was so badly kept that she is now afraid of human?
Is there anything I can do to regain her trust?

Thank you very much!!!

Carlotta

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Tortoises are notoriously slow on the uptake... It can take weeks for them to settle down.

Resist the temptation to watch her every move and establish a routine so that she knows what to expect and when.

I suggest that you start the day with lights on, heat on, soak and feed. Don't expect too much, just put her in the table where she can see the food, but not right next to it, and leave her.

If she's in with other tortoises, she may be being bullied. Tortoises are good at mental bullying, it doesn't have to be physical, so give her an enclosure of her own... Which she should have for quarantine anyway.

Carlotta84

5 Year Member
Bristol, UK
JoesMum said:
Tortoises are notoriously slow on the uptake... It can take weeks for them to settle down.

Resist the temptation to watch her every move and establish a routine so that she knows what to expect and when.

I suggest that you start the day with lights on, heat on, soak and feed. Don't expect too much, just put her in the table where she can see the food, but not right next to it, and leave her.

If she's in with other tortoises, she may be being bullied. Tortoises are good at mental bullying, it doesn't have to be physical, so give her an enclosure of her own... Which she should have for quarantine anyway.

Thanks. I will try to be patient!!
She is alone!!! I have the other tortoises in my parents' house in Italy and I get her 3 weeks ago from a private owner. She is really underweight (the owner told me she is 18 month old but she is as small as a 2 or 3 month old sulcata!!). When she is in her enclosure she is fine and she doesn't seems to be afraid. The same when we let her walk around the flat. But as soon as she saw us she freezes!! :(
I don't know what to think!!!

Carlotta

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
She will learn to trust you, but it's going to take time.

There's a link to my soaking tips in my signature beliw this post . Give her a good 20 minute soak every morning. It will keep her hydrated and get her used to being handled.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Give it some time. We also have to take into consideration the way we as humans think and assume our pets will be part of our lifestyles in a humanistic manor. Trust me Its hard to not spoil all my torts but I have to keep telling myself, even the babies are still a wild animal. Instinctively are animals of opportunity and will always take time to adjust to their surroundings and human involvement. Shhhh don't tell anyone. I spoil mine too ;)

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
She will get used to things and warm up, sometimes it just takes longer then others.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't forget each tort is different. Some take more time then others. Also, some never really warm up either. They may get used to the routine, but not really wanting to be bothered. Give it some time and also spend some time with him/her. When I first got my leopard. Every day, I would hold him face to my face and talk to him and say his name a lot. I also made the smoochy kissing sound, and would kiss him on his head. Now when I do this, he looks at me as if listening and pushes his head out to me when I do the kissing sound. Good luck

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
What everyone said just wait out an yes all tortoises are different but I'm sure if you continue trying that sulcatta will come around.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
let he get comfortable and learn to trust you in her enclosure.. everytime you take her out and puther in a new place, that is another New thing for her to get used to. It can be very stressful for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.