Scared for my Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I've been in the facebook group for awhile, but I finally am getting to use the forum, but not for the greatest of reasons.

I'm really scared about my tortoise Jack, we inherited/we're given her about two years ago now and he/she is about 7 years old. When we got her we were told how she messed up one part of her shell so badly: she had gotten to big in her old house and her heating lamp got too close, luckily it did not harm her. We talked to a tortoise expert at an excellent pet shop and he answered all of our questions and we got his book and mineral supplements and such, even with the book we aren't sure, but think she's a male as much as we would love to have a female sulcata!

IMG_0103 2.JPG

With that all said, she has some odd behaviors that I ask myself is that normal? and maybe you can answer that question!

The first is digging, I was pretty sure digging was a female behavior to prep for nesting, but now its making me question my tortoise's gender again. She has a very large yard to explore, its even bigger when we open up the back to her, and t's almost entirely covered in grass. Still recently she has been digging up clumps of grass and often diggs in her house (an old dog igloo with a heating lamp, we've thought maybe it's the plastic floor which we're going to remove).

Second, this is going to sound really strange I think, she's done this a couple of times and the first time was not a calming experience. Sometimes Jack pushes himself up in the air with his front legs and kinda shakes and looks like he doesn't know whats happening and continues to seemingly invert is gut from his behind. The first time we called the pet shop they said it was nothing to worry about and it to use gloves to push it back inside gently, but by the time we returned it was gone and he was walking around again. He just did this again recently after digging and I'm curious if anyone is familiar with this.

Third, we're so glad Jack has so much room to explore and wander and mow, but one of his habits recently was very damaging. He loves to push the yard furniture, but sometimes forgets how tall his shell is and ends up dragging it for a bit or just scrapping his shell, it's very apparent on the tops of the peaks, but other than that his shell has been ok until more recently. Today he managed to break the cap off his middle peak off, it looks like it came off cleanly, but there are flaky bits on his shell and it looks all smooth and light now. His shell has been looking more flaky overall; he's on a great diet of grass, good dark greens, small amounts of fruit, and his supplement, but still I worry how much of this is natural from his exploration behind hedges, between tree trunks, and under lawn furniture and how much of it is from diet, or other problems.

IMG_0082 2.JPG

Sorry for the novel, I appreciate any insight, advise, or questions.
Thanks,
—Ryan & Jack

Last edited by a moderator:

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Ryan, I am no expert on Sullys but I have a question or two that may help those who know more answer your question. Where are you located? What is the humidity and temp now. Have you consulted a Vet on any of Jacks problems? Do you have a Reptile Vet that knows Sullys near you?

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm in sunny San Diego by the coast, but we have a pretty nice desert climate.
Weather: Humidity-43% Temp-82ËšF
I have looked unsucessfully for a Sulcata vet nearby, but I did manage to find a reptile one. It's hard to transport her, but a check-up is sounding like a good idea...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi Ryan,
Jack is very normal :D Digging for a sulcata is second nature. He's probably trying to find a spot that will hold to gether so he can dig a burrow.
Jack is a male. :p What he's doing with the stiff legs is checking out his equipment (thats what you saw was his penis). All young male tortoises will practice to make sure everything works right and they know what to do with it. :D
What your seeing on his carapace is normal wear for a digging species. I would though move the lawn furniture out of his area when your not using it. Just to prevent any more damage.

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Warpling: Welcome to the forum. And thanks for posting pictures...we LOVE pictures!! Well, Jack is indeed a male sulcata. What you were seeing with the front legs up off the ground and the innards protuding out through the vent (cloaca) in the tail, is his penis coming out. Young male sulcatas just love to "play" with it when they realize they are male. I guess its a rite of passage for them! And the digging you are seeing is that he is trying to find a cool place. He's trying to dig a burrow. If I were you, I would not take out the floor of the Dogloo. If you do, Jack is going to dig a tunnel that might end up in China. Just be sure that the Dogloo is placed in a cool part of the yard. It must be placed under a tree or in the bushes, so that it is cool inside. I have a 100lb male Sulcata and his house in on the wall that's outside of my computer room. When I'm on the computer and when Dudley is in his house, I can hear him digging...digging...digging!! Its what they do in their burrow. Dudley has never tried to dig anyplace other than inside his house. So my guess is that Jack's house is NOT cool enough and that's why he's trying to dig in other spots in the yard.

Sulcatas are bull dozers. Nothing is safe from them. They will knock the stucco off the side of the house, walk right over (and uproot) full grown rose bushes, eat whatever is in their pen clear down to the ground. They don't seem to realize how big their shell is behind their head, and don't EVER walk around something...they have to go right through or over it. It they get stuck like under the lawn furniture, too bad. They just keep right on going until the offending object tips over and falls off of them.

Ya just gotta' love those bull dozen' Sulcatas!!

Yvonne

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you everyone,
and for the reassurance on the digging and Jack's wear and tear.
As for the penis part, lol... I'm still scared it might actually be a kind of prolapse. Is there anyway I can be sure if he does it again? Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with sulcata privates but I thought it looked a lot more intestinal than phallic. :p

Anywho thanks again for the reassurance and new information!
~Ryan

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
PS. Also I forgot to thank Yvonne for the bulldozing note haha, I was definitely glad to hear that. Also he has a lot of sun/shady places to choose from, the dogloo is usually in the sun, but never seems to get very hot, will keep that in mind in the future though.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
warpling said:
Thank you everyone,
and for the reassurance on the digging and Jack's wear and tear.
As for the penis part, lol... I'm still scared it might actually be a kind of prolapse. Is there anyway I can be sure if he does it again? Maybe I'm just unfamiliar with sulcata privates but I thought it looked a lot more intestinal than phallic. :p

Anywho thanks again for the reassurance and new information!
~Ryan

A prolapsed penis is one that won't go back in. Usually a young male will poop a couple large "logs" then he'll let his penis out and smoosh back and forth in the poop. They will stop doing it after a while, maybe a couple weeks. Its just a young male thing. But if you see that he's walking around and its still out, then its time to think "prolapse."

Yvonne

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks again Yvonne,
That is actually very reassuring, minus the first time when that almost exactly, the logs and then dragging it around for a minute or so, we went to call the reptile shop and they said we could try to gently help it back in (we thought they were kidding). We went back outside and he was eating grass again and it was gone. Quite scary! :( But again what you said is very reassuring. :D I will watch his behavior and get back to you if it happens again.
Thank you,
~Ryan

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

warpling

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks Robyn,
The video definitely helped and let out a few "what the @%*&!?" and many questions of how that all works. I'm pretty sure now that that was Jack's penis, but you can see how I would doubt that now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.