HELP!!! I'm scared!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Inland Empire, CA
Hi, Melissa and all this time I was calling you Liz. :rolleyes: I am glad Sparkles is going to be ok. My heart sinks every time I think there is something wrong with one of my little ones. So it does my heart good to know yours will be ok. And I think confusion comes with the territory. There are always so many different ways to care for animals and often more then one way works fine. It's just finding what works for you and Sparkles, and in time you will.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for your kind words Robyn.

Another question, I know that Sulcata's are a "dry" species but mine is still a hatchling. I always have a water dish available for her and she gets regular soakings. So, do I need to have humidity for her substrate or is it ok for it to be dry? Should I offer a humid hide for her? She has two hides right now, one on the cooler end and one on the hotter end.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The fire question is a good concern. If the heat lamp close enough to cause fire, it is much to close for any animal. I'm not real familiar with african dryland torts but assuming 90 degrees as basking temp, any substrat should not be a fire hazard. I brood poultry at about 110 degrees with a 250 watt heat lamp about 18 to 24 inchs off aspen and never had scorching. Just watch your temps and secure your lamp.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Good infor Itort. Malissa I have a little sully that is about 4 inches and I do provide her with a slightly humid area. I had read that in the wild Sullys will dig down were it is humid so I figured I'd try and give her an area that is humid. So I placed Plants in one side of her enclosure and I water them regularly and mist them which raised the humidity. I find her on that side at least a couple time a day taking a nap or digging in the dirt. At night she tend to sleep under the heat lamp on the dry side but I decrease my house temps at night. Just my personal limited experience with this type of tort.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm going to try the sponge trick in one of the hides.

Now my big concern is to get her to gain weight.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I found that when my little Sulcata Squirt was sick she also lost weight. I have been giving her antibiotics and I raised her temps just a bit – about 5 degrees. She has now put on weight and is gaining, “Yeah”. I did have to tempt her with her favorite food raspberries but only one or two to get her going. Now she eats like a champ. She’s even waiting for me in the morning to be fed. I also soak her daily for now while she is recovering in warm water with Viti-sol (avian vitamins) for an extra boost. So I am sure if you raise her temp just a little, give her the humid hide that way she will be able to select it if she wants more humidity, and even, maybe, tempt her with a favorite morsel or two she should start to put on weight, once she begins to feels better.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Robyn - off topic a bit....Love hearing about Squirt! Do you have a pic of her enclosure so that I can try to set up something similar so that she feels a bit more cozy when the time comes?

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I was suprised when the vet said she lost weight. She's been eating.

Robyn, are you not keeping Squirt?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Coldliz said:
I was suprised when the vet said she lost weight. She's been eating.

Robyn, are you not keeping Squirt?

Usually even if they are eating their intake or output is off when they aren't feeling well.
No ,Squirt is a foster and is slated to go to Dee in NJ. I have become very attached to her she is so sweet it will be hard to let her go.
Dee I will get a few shots and post them hopefully tonight, but by the weekend at least.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
awww, I didn't know she was a foster. I don't think I could do that!! I get too attached.

Her nose is already healing. I put the triple antibiotic on her nose once a day. The weird thing is, I think she knows I'm trying to help her. When I'm ready to put the ointment on her, I put it on a q-tip, and slowly touch it to her nose. She actually stretches her neck out to me like it feels good to her. I thought she would pull back. I'm offering food to her several times a day. She's been eating a little at each time. I've got the temps up and I have been soaking her daily.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Glad to hear that Sparkles is doing better! I am sure that she knows you are helping her feel better!

aka2tal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am on Edge, What Happened at the vet???????

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I am so glad that she is doing better!!! Keep up the good work!!

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
aka2tal said:
I am on Edge, What Happened at the vet???????

I already posted what happened but, the vet said gave me an antibiotic to put on her nose. Also, said that she had lost some weight. Her nose should be fine but I need to get her to gain weight. He said to get rid of the substrate I was using. (coconut fiber)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Coldliz said:
awww, I didn't know she was a foster. I don't think I could do that!! I get too attached.

Her nose is already healing. I put the triple antibiotic on her nose once a day. The weird thing is, I think she knows I'm trying to help her. When I'm ready to put the ointment on her, I put it on a q-tip, and slowly touch it to her nose. She actually stretches her neck out to me like it feels good to her. I thought she would pull back. I'm offering food to her several times a day. She's been eating a little at each time. I've got the temps up and I have been soaking her daily.

Melissa, I haven't had a foster I didn't get attached to. I currently have 3 big DT males in hibernation that are fosters and Squirt. Each and every Tort I foster has won my heart. But if I can help them start on a new life I have made a positive impact on that Tortoises care (Hopefully), and I know I can't keep every tort that needs a good home, although I'd love too. When Squirt moves to Dee's I'm sure I will get updates and see pictures etc. I will be like a cross country Grandma, a Tort-Grandma :). And perhaps if I ever get out Dees way she will let me stop by and say Hi to her and Squirt. I belong to the "Inland Empire chapter of the California Tortoise and Turtle Club" and several people foster when needed. This year it seemed a lot of Tortoises needed foster care. I originally took in 8 DT, and I am now down to 3 so that means that 5 DT went to loving homes. And for me that eases the pain of them leaving.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Robyn, I think that is a wonderful thing you are doing for those torts!!! I was thinking its a win/win situation for you and the torts in a way. You win by getting to "know" them even if only for a short time and they win by you caring for them and finding them new loving homes.
I kind of wish I could foster. I would like to have another tort but I am still a newbie. I'm trying to learn as much as I can to be able to call myself "successful" just with the one I have. I feel I have a lot more to learn about other tort's and the one I have. Also, I have limited space at the moment. I still feel guilty about my first tort that died. It's almost like an addiction though. Once I had my first one I have done so much thinking and worrying and reading!!! I would really love to foster one to get experience but I'm going to wait for a while.
I admire what you are doing and if I could I would hug you! :)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I'll consider myself hugged. Thanks Melissa. I would not beat yourself up over your lost tort. Those things do happen no matter how well we care for them and as humans we are bound to make some mistakes lord knows I've made my share and feel I will make more. And your right it is like an addiction. I just temper mine by attending the Club meetings talking on the forums, doing research and fostering. I know in time if you decide to foster, you will make a good foster mom.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am really excited that Robyn has Squirt too! I am glad I am going to be able to take her! I have been a foster mom to the human species so I think I could foster torts but we don't really get a calling for it around here. Oh and anytime you would like to visit NJ Robyn, you are more than welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.