is Sanding the tortoise Scutes ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
There are some houses with gardens by the beaches, on the peak, out of the city. Hong Kong is not big, so only takes an hour or less to get into the city for work. Ppl call it the 'concrete jungle' here, average size apartment in the city is 450sq with 2 bedrooms, many ppl have big pets. This is very a crowded place, tall buildings, lots of ppl. If you like shopping and eating out, then this is the place + need lots of money to waste. I prefer the countryside, space, sea, grass, trees.... Peace, oh and I can see the stars at night.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
I will take some pics from the street where they sell tortoises, post on a new thread. Can see how they are kept here and different ones.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
emysemys said:
Sebastian (rustyiron) is 14 years old and he lives in Hong Kong.

Now that you know his age, does it change your way of thinking? I think he sounds much older than his years and really gave us a run for our money until he started taking offense.

And, Sebastian, its totally up to you if you want to tell us your name and where you are. That's the question I ask all new members, simply because we're a friendly group of people and I like to call my friends by their real name. I'm sorry if I made it sound as if you HAD to tell me your name before you were allowed to post. That's not the case at all.

Not really. We've had lots of young people, and lots of non-native English speakers. We try to work with what we see on the screen, and the more we learn about the poster, the more of a relationship we can have.

I do hope he comes back.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
I will take some pics from the street where they sell tortoises, post on a new thread. Can see how they are kept here and different ones.

Ahhhhh that would be awesome!!! I am going to start taking an out of the country vacation every year once I am out of school and before I have children so I can see the world. There is a lot of places I wanna go but they are more like country places. Such as Ireland. I can't stand the city , all the people and little bitty yards and apartments so crammed. I live out in middle of no where and thats how i like it.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Can't stand it either! Too hectic and crowded, drives me nuts but humans have a choice to get away sometimes.... But not the poor animals in tiny cages & big black tortoises/snapping turtles in tiny window space, poor things can't even turn around. Seeing all humans/animals living conditions here, I didn't know Hong Kong is a rich country, I am too naive!

Sorry, NOT all... Just some. Don't know any rich ppl.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
Can't stand it either! Too hectic and crowded, drives me nuts but humans have a choice to get away sometimes.... But not the poor animals in tiny cages & big black tortoises/snapping turtles in tiny window space, poor things can't even turn around. Seeing all humans/animals living conditions here, I didn't know Hong Kong is a rich country, I am too naive!

Sorry, NOT all... Just some. Don't know any rich ppl.

That's so sad about the animals. Where I live We have a place called Dog Monday(goes along with First Monday) where tons of people brief their animals and see them. It's many farm animals and dogs . The dogs are almost all from puppy mills so there is juat tons of them in little bitty cages. Most are little toy dogs being sold at like six weeks old so there so tiny and packed into cages with tons of others. In the winter its the saddest cause you see all those little puppies freezing. I had to atop going cause its just so sad. Not all r like this but most are. Some people take the dogs they don't sell and just go drop them off in the middle of the country on the side of the road.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And these last three posts have to do with sanding a tortoise's shell how? :p

Please stay on topic.

Sammy

5 Year Member
Hong Kong
Oh sorry got carried away. IMHO I won't sand my tortoise cause I imagine the result maybe 'bumpy & coarse brittle dry looking' shell and maybe a stressed/sad tortoise. Good luck to whoever does!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I let my large male dig a burrow last year for the first time and his first and second vertebral scutes have become smooth on the fronts from him going in and out of the burrow. This has caused those places to become lighter than the surrounding scutes and it makes it look odd to me. This was done naturally so I am okay with it but I don't think I would attempt this myself because I prefer the natural look, even if it's slightly pyramided...

Status
Not open for further replies.