Is my tortoise pyramiding?

noillatsyrc

Location (City and/or State)
San Pedro
Hi tortoise community, I was wondering if I could get some input on whether or not my tortoise looks like he’s pyramiding?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 56
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Yes it looks quite dry and raised growth (pyramiding) is happening. Check out this thread and review your setup, humidity, and soaking protocols:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes it is. Get it into the correct warm humid environment ASAP to stop it.

noillatsyrc

San Pedro
Yes it is. Get it into the correct warm humid environment ASAP to stop it.

Hi Tom, I just finished reading your care sheet and am embarrassed to admit I was doing A LOT wrong, is it possible to prevent the pyramiding from getting any worse? Will my tortoise be okay?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Fix the things you've been doing wrong.

The pyramiding that is already there will not go away. But with plenty of hydration the new growth will grow in smooth, and the lyramiding will look less noticeable.

Your tort will be fine! Fortunately you have found that his care needed some tweaking, and you're doing what's needed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Tom, I just finished reading your care sheet and am embarrassed to admit I was doing A LOT wrong, is it possible to prevent the pyramiding from getting any worse? Will my tortoise be okay?
You are not alone, and you've just been following the same wrong advice that almost everyone involved with tortoises gives. I used to follow and give that advice too, until I figured all of this out with a lot of help from many sources. Don't be embarrassed and don't beat yourself up about it. Not your fault, and you are clearly trying to do your best.

The sooner your tortoise gets hydrated and into a large humid warm closed chamber the sooner the pyramiding will cease, and the new growth can come in better.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
W
You are not alone, and you've just been following the same wrong advice that almost everyone involved with tortoises gives. I used to follow and give that advice too, until I figured all of this out with a lot of help from many sources. Don't be embarrassed and don't beat yourself up about it. Not your fault, and you are clearly trying to do your best.

The sooner your tortoise gets hydrated and into a large humid warm closed chamber the sooner the pyramiding will cease, and the new growth can come in better.

While I was reading this my screen switched over to something called turtles and Tortoises Inc. With a buncha animals for sale...I never heard of them...I reset my computer...

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
While I was reading this my screen switched over to something called turtles and Tortoises Inc. With a buncha animals for sale...I never heard of them...I reset my computer...

This is why I subscribed to the forum. I want to support them, but ad blockers are a necessity in this day and age.