Is my tortoise poorly?

CarolynS

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge UK
H there - i have an issue with my female 20 year old Hermann - I had kept her in an inside enclosure in the winter and an outside enclosure in the summer, with 2 other males but as they were hassling her I decided to re-home the males and kept the female. However since this has happened - the female has not eaten hardly anything at all - I have moved her to the outdoor enclosure where she has a new house with heating and UV but all she wants to do is to dig in. Its very hot inside her enclosure - between 25 and 35 degrees so i dont want her to dig in. Its new for her to have so much soil and coir but she is also digging in outside as well where its not very warm at all. last night it was -1 degrees - she was inside her enclosure last night but today she has come out and dug in outside. I pick fresh weeds for her and bathe her daily but she's not eating. I keep carefully digging her out with my hands as i havent hibernated her since i have had her. What should i do? I'm really worried - Thanks a lot, Carolyn

Grace-Sophia

Texas
Could she possibly be stressed from the harassing? If so I would say let her be for a couple days, you can offer her food and keep her warm. I would also make sure she has plenty of places to hide to let her feel secure. She should come out on her own timing, but until then you can just keep and eye on her and relax.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
H there - i have an issue with my female 20 year old Hermann - I had kept her in an inside enclosure in the winter and an outside enclosure in the summer, with 2 other males but as they were hassling her I decided to re-home the males and kept the female. However since this has happened - the female has not eaten hardly anything at all - I have moved her to the outdoor enclosure where she has a new house with heating and UV but all she wants to do is to dig in. Its very hot inside her enclosure - between 25 and 35 degrees so i dont want her to dig in. Its new for her to have so much soil and coir but she is also digging in outside as well where its not very warm at all. last night it was -1 degrees - she was inside her enclosure last night but today she has come out and dug in outside. I pick fresh weeds for her and bathe her daily but she's not eating. I keep carefully digging her out with my hands as i havent hibernated her since i have had her. What should i do? I'm really worried - Thanks a lot, Carolyn
What is the day time high temperature outside right now?

CarolynS

Cambridge UK
What is the day time high temperature outside right now?
only around 9 degrees C - she normally stays within the heated house though - although today she did come out and dig herself in quite deep ( around 6 inches) so i dug her out gently and put her back into the inside enclosure. I dint want to leave her out overnight as it gets to 0 degrees C or lower at the moment. Im just at a loss as to why she's not eating and is acting strangely.

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
Maybe she just needs rest as Grace-Sophia said. I think that's a little cold to put a tortoise outside though..Maybe she's being triggered to hibernate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
only around 9 degrees C - she normally stays within the heated house though - although today she did come out and dig herself in quite deep ( around 6 inches) so i dug her out gently and put her back into the inside enclosure. I dint want to leave her out overnight as it gets to 0 degrees C or lower at the moment. Im just at a loss as to why she's not eating and is acting strangely.
Its too cold to be outside. The tortoise can't warm up.

Move her back inside with the correct temperatures and heat lamps until warmer weather gets here.