Overnight temperatures for a two year old Hermann

Given the recent nice weather here in the UK, Shirley has been spending most of her time in her outside enclosure, including a few nights where temperatures have not been forecast to drop too much.

It seems to get on her nerves a bit to keep moving her between her outdoor and indoor enclosures, so ideally she will stay outside all summer, but I need to know a) what kind of night temperatures she can cope with and b) if she is old enough to spend nights outside.

She has a cold frame outside which was intended to stay a bit warmer overnight (and it does), but she seems to prefer to spend her nights inside her chiminea (probably because she feels the Perspex roof leaves her a bit exposed).

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
It depends where you are in the UK. As long as there is no frost she can stay out. Just make sure she has a pile of straw or hay in the cold frame to dig into.

Joe is out full time now

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
This is really a mater of opinion. It is also a matter of what is best for your two year old vs. what your baby could physically survive. Sure they can survive temps in the 40s and 50's (5-12 C), but are temps that low "good" for them?

I would bring the baby inside, or make a heated house outside for the baby to sleep in. It doesn't have to be warm, like for tropical species, but a nice cozy 18-21C should keep him/her healthy and happy.

Like this:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Very true Tom. I had missed the age. This is a young tortoise. Better to bring in on chilly nights at the moment

Thanks for the replies, and it was precisely because of her age that I asked (I'm never sure what "young" counts as in the care sheets but I'd guessed that two counted).

I'm based on the south coast of England (so warmer than most of the country), and the evenings I've left her outside so far have been forecast at 17c lows which I felt were fine. Its forecast 10c tonight so I'll bring her in. Our last frost was back in March.

Will the constant bringing her in/out for daytime and evening cause her stress? Or do the benefits of a day outside outweigh this?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Bring her in as late as possible so she's cooled down and pretty sleepy. Pop her out first thing. She will get used to the routine, but retain the right to object ;)

The cold period is usually in the early hours of the morning, so a late trip for bed just before you turn in would be fine subject to whatever our great British weather is doing to us of course!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will the constant bringing her in/out for daytime and evening cause her stress? Or do the benefits of a day outside outweigh this?

I've been using that strategy here with many species for decades. It has never been an issue for me and I'm talking about 100s of tortoises of all ages.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
I have decided that when spud lives outside I will just bring him in every night like your doing. I'll put him under his heat lamp etc. I think it's fine, it's for the best. I don't have to worry about this for a couple of years though as spud is only 6 months old :)