Is My Sulcata Sick?

thegame2388

5 Year Member
2015_11_27_14_42_23.jpg

Long story short, out in Southern California, we're entering the cold season. Lows are around 40F and high is around 60F for now.

But no worries because my outdoor shelter is heated to 85F and 80% humidity. With that said, over the past few days, my sulcata isn't coming out of his outdoor enclosure night box. He won't eat, and wander around like he used to.

My guess is the cold and the lack of appetite but at what point should I be worried? It's been 3 days now of no food. Should I bring him inside my house for a few hours and feed him where it's warm?

I tried putting his food inside the enclosure (85F) and he wouldn't eat it. He just turned around a few hours ago and went to sleep.

I'll soak him in warm warm water tomorrow for 30 minutes and see what happens.

Any help is appreciated! THANKS!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Is there light in his box? My Sulcatas box was maintaining 80F, but he wasn't eating, or coming out. I added a light, and during the day it heats up to over 90 on that side. He is eating good now, and comes out to walk around a bit. It is very cold here.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Is there light in his box? My Sulcatas box was maintaining 80F, but he wasn't eating, or coming out. I added a light, and during the day it heats up to over 90 on that side. He is eating good now, and comes out to walk around a bit. It is very cold here.

There's no light but there's a doggy door to the outside. He can come outside and roam around the entire backyard. He did that all the time prior to 2-3 days ago.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Right, but now it's not warm enough for him to use the sun to get his body temp up high enough to digest food. This was my theory with my guy, and raising his temps significantly inside during the day fixed it.

thegame2388

5 Year Member
Right, but now it's not warm enough for him to use the sun to get his body temp up high enough to digest food. This was my theory with my guy, and raising his temps significantly inside during the day fixed it.

I have the night box set to 85-90F. It says that range 24/7. But he hasn't eaten in 3 days.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree with Jodie that a light inside the box will help.

thegame2388

5 Year Member

But it's a night box. The MVB that I had would be like only 5 inches from his shell. I COULD have it turn on for maybe 1 hour out of the day, but I don't want him to burn.

The sulcata is 11lbs now and about 11 inches across....I just don't want to crowd the place and have the bulb burn his shell off.

thegame2388

5 Year Member

Update: I soaked him inside my own house for 1 hour. After exactly 50 minutes, he pooped. I took him outside, fed him, he ate a bit,and now he's actively walking around the backyard going to his usual spots. Things are like normal. I guess he just needed a little motivation to leave his place or maybe it was the indoor soak...who knows.