Help!!! My russian is not eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrowe

5 Year Member
I have had my Russian for about 2weeks now and I can't get him to eat .. I soak him every morning and bring him outside to his outdoor enclosure whenever it is warm and sunny and inside he is in a 50 gallon storage container with a heat/uv light and he has a heating Matt for at night if it gets cold... I keep his pellet food that I got with him in his enclosure at all times and i have tried giving him dandelions , cover, and spring greens.. I am just wondering does he just need more time to adjust?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I would say he is still adjusting. Did he get checked out by a vet yet for parasites? While it is unusual for a russian to take 2 weeks for readjustment, it is not unheard of.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Are his eyes clear? All 'parts' are working?
Make sure he can cool down at night, 60d or a bit lower is fine. Then they like to warm up in the sun or under their basking light before they eat.
You are soaking him in warm water (not just his water dish?).
If he seems to be OK otherwise, give him a week or two with the right conditions, then have a reptile vet check him (avoid vets who think vitamin A injections are needed!!!!) and get a fecal check, etc.

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
I recommend two soaks a day in thirty five minute intervals. 7am both RT's get a 35 minute soak. Then again come 5pm. I do that until I am secure that they Are okay. Should it not help, the obvious is a vet appointment. But you'll be surprised what the right temperature and warm baths do.

sportychick

5 Year Member
I had my Russian tortoise for a week now, when I first got him I made sure to soak him 2 times a day for about 15-20 minutes at a time. Just give him time to adjust. My tort eats well and walks around his enclosure for a good part of the day.
He comes out from his hide around 630-8 depending on how lazy he is lol. He then will stay out til after 3 basking sleeping walking...

IowaGuy28

5 Year Member
When i first got my Sulcata from the breeder in Vegas i was told its natural for them to not eat for awhile because of any big move they may have just gone through. Heck, my Tilley did it when I had his boarded for 5 days during a vacation. Hes back to eating like a horse. Im no expert but Id say give it a few more days...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
At only being in a new environment for two weeks with all that handling, he really needs time to acclimate to his new surroundings and settle in. Set up his environment, make sure he has water and fresh food daily and let me come out on his own.

acrowe

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the suggestions , they were very helpful.. I work at a vet clinic so I did do a fecal test on him it was negative.. I have been pulling him out of this hide box to soak him in the morning... So I should just let him come out when he wants? And dose it matter what time I soak him?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
It took my Russians a few days to adjust to their new environment and start feeding - I think it was 3 or 4 days - and then they ate very well.

I would just give your little guy a chance to settle in and relax. I wouldn't bath him or take him out of his pen (unless it's urgent) until he feels calm and at home. Just leave him in there, offer him some food every morning, and let him explore at his own pace.

jwhite

5 Year Member
west milwaukee,wi
I agree with Geo when I get a new tort I leave them in their enclosure with no handling so that they can get used to their new surroundings and not have too worry about this big hand coming in and snatching them up.

acrowe

5 Year Member
Thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I agree to some extent...I would force soak if you are dealing with a small/young tortoise....or a dehydrated tort.

I also would back off of the fruity pebble commercial food and offer a better diet....hell, since you have to go through the adjustment period with him why not do it all....?

I would check your temps and be sure not they are ideal and make sure to offer food and water...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.