Is my substrate to damp?

Tortoisesarecool

Location (City and/or State)
Converse Texas United States
I mixed up a repti chip 76 quart breeder block the other day and im worried if it's too moist. I have an adult female Russian Tortoise and the humidity fluctuates from 40 to 70 percent. She likes to burrow and im worried if this is bad for her if the substrate is too moist. If I take a single piece I can squeeze a tiny amount of water out but I can't with a handful. The top layer is dry. How do I dry it out?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like the coco chips for tortoises, but the moisture will not hurt your tortoise. Accidentally swallowed chunks might though...

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi, to dry it out stop adding water. Assuming you have heat on then clear rocks or obstructions and with hands mix up the substrate in a figure of 8 direction and leave wet on top. Replace any rocks and in a few days it should be dryer. If you need to dampen in the future use a water sprayer bottle very lightly. Russian tortoise burrow so that is good and normal behaviour. Ensure you have low rocks snd a hide to provide enrichment and interest, if not already provided.