Juvenile Herman, best sleep surface - damp or dry?

stevenf625

5 Year Member
Recently aquired a 5 year old Dalmation (5" CL) and am keeping him in a large deck box within a screened-in porch where there's direct sunlight for part of the day.

Today it rained hard enough that rain spray blew in and dampened the coir bedding a bit (not soaking wet, but its damper than I'd like).

During the day, there's dry areas portions of the box the tort can move to, however, his chosen sleeping spot is in none of these locations.

Should I be worried about him sleeping on damp substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
@HermanniChris can best help you or check out the care sheet. I wouldn't worry about it if he chooses to sleep there and has other dry spots to pic. Just as long he doesn't get cold.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hermann's tortoises really require a surprising amount of moisture in parts of their habitat so I wouldn't be too concerned so long as he is acting normal otherwise. If you can post a photo of his enclosure that would help me to see what is actually going on.

stevenf625

5 Year Member
box is covered at night to prevent drafts, however temps are dropping down into the 70's lately. Is this considered cold?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
That's not cold at all for Hermann's. They need a nighttime cool down and can take it very cold. They hibernate by nature and some will remain inactive buried under feet of snow in certain locations.

Chanchara

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus, Croatia
That's not cold at all for Hermann's. They need a nighttime cool down and can take it very cold. They hibernate by nature and some will remain inactive buried under feet of snow in certain locations.
I fully support this declaration! :)
And when I read:
Basking should be 95-100F (35-38C). 35 is just fine...

If you do not want problems to your Hermann torts, you have to think about ...;)