Slightly damp substrate

Callum1941

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle
Hi all, just have a few questions about shell rot etc. I've just recently got a baby red foot tortoise. He is very active, loves food and is settling in great! He likes to burrow a lot and has decided he likes sleeping burrowed down in the substrate, as the substrate gets deeper it gets slightly more damp, by no means is it dripping wet but it is very slightly damp to the touch. I was just curious weather this is safe or weather there could be a slight risk of shell rot developing. Also, how long does shell rot take to appear, does it happen overnight it? Or does it only appear when they are exposed to wet substrate all of the time. The surface of the substrate is dry so it's not like he's walking around in a swamp either! Thank you 😁

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, just have a few questions about shell rot etc. I've just recently got a baby red foot tortoise. He is very active, loves food and is settling in great! He likes to burrow a lot and has decided he likes sleeping burrowed down in the substrate, as the substrate gets deeper it gets slightly more damp, by no means is it dripping wet but it is very slightly damp to the touch. I was just curious weather this is safe or weather there could be a slight risk of shell rot developing. Also, how long does shell rot take to appear, does it happen overnight it? Or does it only appear when they are exposed to wet substrate all of the time. The surface of the substrate is dry so it's not like he's walking around in a swamp either! Thank you 😁
You will just have to check the plastron frequently and your tortoise will tell you if it is too damp.

Is it a closed chamber? If yes, very little wetness is needed to maintain high humidity. I was using dry Sani-Chips as substrate under my cribo, and with a large tub with a hole cut in the side as humid hide, and a water dish, I was easily able to maintain 80% humidity.
IMG_7939.JPG

IMG_8591.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will just have to check the plastron frequently and your tortoise will tell you if it is too damp.

Is it a closed chamber? If yes, very little wetness is needed to maintain high humidity. I was using dry Sani-Chips as substrate under my cribo, and with a large tub with a hole cut in the side as humid hide, and a water dish, I was easily able to maintain 80% humidity.
View attachment 354689

View attachment 354690
Cute face

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If he burrows in the same spot you could add more substrate to that area so when he digs down, he possibly will stop before reaching the damp area

Callum1941

Newcastle

View attachment 354689

View attachment 354690
Yes it is a closed chamber. I've had no issue keeping the viv at 80% humidity with dry substrate as I ran a couple test weeks to see what the conditions of the tank were like before I ordered the little guy. Think I might have been a bit enthusiastic with the spraying with the excitement of getting a new friend! Tommorow I'll probs just let the substrate dry out a but more and keep the humidity up in ways that isn't going to make the floor damp. I'll also make sure to check the shell daily as well, thanks for your help 😊