Is he hibernating?

shaigirl98

So I got my Hermann's tortoise a week ago and he hasn't eaten anything. In the morning I turn on the light and find him under his log and when I come home, he's still there. Is he hibernating in there or is he just inactive?

Hermann's love!!

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Have you been giving him daily warm soaks? They generally hide when you first put them in new enclosure until they feel safe, when they know they are safe they start to explore and eat. What are your temps too? because a cold tortoise won't eat

shaigirl98

I give him warm soaks every day, the humidity is like between 60-70% I'm gonna get a thermometer so I can no the exact temp. He's active once I take him out, but if I put him in his cage someplace he stays there.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
Mine did exactly the same, I'd wake him soak him then put him on his food, keep doing what you're doing when he feels safe and knows you bring food he will eat and bask and be a happy tort :) can take couple of weeks but he will settle, I weighed mine every other day too just to keep an eye on him

shaigirl98

Ok thank you, is there anything else u would suggest I do, I'm a first time owner.

Kele7710

5 Year Member
I'm a first time owner too had mine since October :) just keep doing what you're doing make sure temps are ok when you got thermometer and weigh him make sure he not losing weight, put pics up of enclosure too so can see set up, what UVB light are you using?

shaigirl98

ImageUploadedByTortForum1394882138.006945.jpg I was using 100w but that seemed to be burning him because he never went under it so I switched to a 50w and he seems to like that better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kele7710

5 Year Member
I use a exo terra 125watt UV solar glo it provides the heat and uv so only need 1 bulb. I would change your substrate too, to top soil, coco coir, you buy them from reptile shops, they are like bricks you soak them in water squeeze out water then spread over enclosure :)

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I agree I would change the substrate to coco coir, spaghnum peat moss, etc. My dalmation hermanns burrow all the time. They will eat if I take them out to soak but then they retreat back into their "retreats" under pieces of wood. I find they come out early in the morning to eat. So don't be alarmed if it's not appearing active. As long as it's eating, gaining weight, staying hydrated, and bright eyed you should be fine. Just definitely change that substrate asap.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58227.html

This is more of the overall environment you will want to look and and try to recreate....it is a prime example of an indoor set up that will work for awhile for the tort....

Please examine the difference between what you have available now and what you will want to offer....I am in no way trying to give you a hard time....but sometimes a visual point is a better reference :D:D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your tortoise's set up is very barren, and way too small for a tortoise of his size. I'll bet if you buy a large plastic tub from Home Depot or Lowe's and set it up with plants, etc. like what Ascott showed you, you'll see more activity out of your tortoise.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
My tortoise isn't very big.

That has nothing to do with offering up a more life like (tortoise life that is) environment for the tort....

I mean, lets just say we put you in a bedroom with a window and NOTHING else....how long do you think it will be before you decide to just lay down and give up?????hmmmm?

shaigirl98

That's not what I meant I mean the enclosure is a lot bigger than the picture makes it seem.

Hermann's love!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That's not what I meant I mean the enclosure is a lot bigger than the picture makes it seem.

Oh good :D and the additional open space is perfect to fill in with some plants and good substrate...those pellets are not a good floor, this is a soft surface and moves to much for the tort to ever get solid traction as well, this can cause damage to the muscle development....for real.

KirstieD

Don't worry too much because you are going in the right direction, it's a steep learning curve, I've only had Herbie since Jan and have gone through about 5 remodels so far! Theres so much differing advice out there!

Check out HermanniChris' fact sheet at the top of the Hermanns specific area. He really knows his stuff.

Also If you are lucky enough to have a reptile specific pet shop nearby I would strongly suggest a visit? The couple who own my local shop have been lifesavers! They own several different tortoise breeds as pets which helps.

It also comes down to getting to know what your tortoise likes too, as they are all such individual characters, so trust your gut too once you get to know him/her a bit better. What works for one may not work for others. ;)

shaigirl98

KirstieD said:
Don't worry too much because you are going in the right direction, it's a steep learning curve, I've only had Herbie since Jan and have gone through about 5 remodels so far! Theres so much differing advice out there!

Check out HermanniChris' fact sheet at the top of the Hermanns specific area. He really knows his stuff.

Also If you are lucky enough to have a reptile specific pet shop nearby I would strongly suggest a visit? The couple who own my local shop have been lifesavers! They own several different tortoise breeds as pets which helps.

It also comes down to getting to know what your tortoise likes too, as they are all such individual characters, so trust your gut too once you get to know him/her a bit better. What works for one may not work for others. ;)

Wow thank you. The pet shop I got him from gave me a lot of bad advice, so now I'm just trying to keep him healthy and I'm really nervous about doing a good job. So appreciate that someone had trouble getting into a routine.

Hermann's love!!