Is he hibernating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remnence

5 Year Member
This is my first winter with my Hermann's Tortoise, Sherman. I'm a little worried because living in Michigan the weather can be crazy, -15 with wind chill one day and 40 degrees the next. He's been very inactive, burrowing deep into his enclosure for days until I dig him up to check on him, then I give him a warm soak and he will eat a little bit as well but not as much as before this started. His enclosure is about 65 degrees Fahrenheit during the night so it's not too cold. Is he trying to hibernate? If so should I let him do his thing or try to keep him from hibernating? I had read that they shouldn't hibernate in their first year.

Thanks

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What is your enclosures day temps? Also, what is your basking spot temp? While this tort species can handle temps dropping into the mid 60s for night temps, if your tort is in a enclosure with high humidity, that low temp can be not so great...

You should be sure that your basking spot is at least 95 degrees. How long do you leave your day lights on?

Is your tort a baby or is it older? You mentioned not brumating in the first year? Do you mean that this is the first year you have this particular tort? If so, what was its prior years winter set up---brumate or overwintered...

I would suggest that you decide what you are going to do....brumate or overwinter? I say this because, if you are going to stimulate him by digging him up, warm water soak, basking light and food consumption....then he is inactive for a number of days==not a good thing. Now, if you are going to do these things, I would suggest that you do it each and every day---at least a couple of times per day until he comes round and is tricked into thinking it is not his sleep time.....also, I personally would increase light duration to 14 hours or so, make sure that you have an appropriate basking temp spot....and make sure that your tort stays hydrated...

Remnence

5 Year Member
Thanks for your response!

His basking spot during the daytime ranges from 95-100 degrees. He is less than a year old as I received him last April when he was approximately two weeks old. I leave the day lights on 12 hours a day at the moment. Since you say to increase light duration are you recommending I snap him out of his brumation?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well, technically he is not brumating---and I say this because he is being woken up, warmed up and fed then left to go back to burrow in....so, he is not brumating---he is more in a state of torpor than truly brumating....

Since he is young, since he is new to you, since you have not had a full year to prepare him for weight and hydration to going into a planned and supported brumation, I personally would start a vigorous routine in keeping his enclosure warm (but not too warm--or you will be seeing signs of aestivation) along with waking him up a few times a day, offering a couple warm water soaks---I would not be alarmed if his appetite is not as much as in the true summer months....but I would also add some light to his enclosure for the daytime hours----does not have to be expensive lights---just some bright white daylight light---also, make sure to keep an eye on the temps if you add any overhead lighting....it is tough to try to trick/force a tort that is pulled strongly to perform a part of their life cycle that has been deep seeded....

I would do alot of research on brumation and how to successfully support this part of their life cycle so that in the future you will feel a bit more secure in what method you will choose and can prepare for, you know what I mean? :D

Remnence

5 Year Member
Yes I didn't prepare because I do keep the house relatively warm. I came back after two weeks of vacation and I noticed this behavior. I've already changed the timer on the lights for 14 hours and I'm looking into a small ceramic heat bulb for night time.

Status
Not open for further replies.