Is a Russian or Greek tortoise right for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarabarlow2

5 Year Member
I have been living in an apartment for about half a year. I've been Doug research on these two types of tortoises for about that long also. I want a Russian or Greek because they stay smaller than some of the other tortoises. I would provide it with either the wooden box housing that they have at the pet stores or I have a 55 gallon glass tank. Can anyone with one of these types of tortoise tell me why they're a good pet? And can you tell me what some researchers have left out about them? Thank you and have a great day!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
They stay smaller and they are good first time torts, but as they grow they do need space. How much space can you offer? Will your tort have the opportunity to go outside?

My male Greek is 10.5 inches in length fully grown... so it's still quite big!

Russians in particular needs lots of space as they mature. If the enclosure is too small they spend their entire time pacing and trying to get out, getting very stressed. Greeks also need space.

They live a very long time, 50 years is easily achievable... it could be 100... so a tort is literally a pet for life... and that of your children.

What will you do when you go on vacation? Do you have someone who can and care for it... they aren't very portable.

sarabarlow2

5 Year Member
Yes I was going to build a larger pen for the indoors as he got bigger. And yes I live in the same town as my sisters, parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles and so forth. Do you have a picture of yours I could see?

Status
Not open for further replies.