Is 70s too cold for a baby Hermann's?

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia, United States
Hey all! Today where I live it's a beautiful day out. The sun is not shining bright necessarily, but it's 72 degrees. My hermann's tortoise is about 5 months old, and I really want to take him out to soak in the little sun that there is, because it will probably start getting colder again starting tomorrow. It's also a little windy but not too much.

Should I take him out for the day? Or just leave him inside still? Should have asked this sooner, but at least the next time I'll know whether or not to take him out.

Thanks!

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Thanks. I ended up not taking him out... It wasn't sunny enough I think for it to be worth it. I probably will whenever the temps hit closer to 75 - 80 degrees. Looking forward to the summer so my baby can enjoy some sun.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
If you have an odd hour in the middle of the day when the temperature does go up, even 10 minutes is helpful! Real sun is always preferred and as little as 10-20 minutes does make a difference. Cute little Morgan the Hermann! And yes, the website diamondbp shared, rocks! Check it out for sure! : )

reatrocity

5 Year Member
Yup I love that site. :) Just wasn't sure since my baby is still kind of young. I just don't want him to be uncomfortable, and it was kind of windy so I was worried it was still a little cold. Don't worry though, as soon as there is a day where there is bright sun and decently warm weather, I'll definitely take Morgan out!

Chris is actually the one who I got Morgan from. :p So I definitely check out his site first whenever I have a question. Thanks you guys for your help!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You should remember that the temp in the air is not the temp on the ground where the sun is shinning down. Think how a car hood is sometimes 120 - 130 degrees when it is only 85- 90 outside. Your baby is like a little solar panel. Put him in the sunlight is a tub and him and the tub will warm up quite a bit!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Get an infrared thermometer and a big tub and get that baby outside!

I sun my tropical species when its as low as 60 outside. As long as its sunny, and they are NOT on cold damp ground, its good for them. If my tropical species do well with this, your temperate species should be in heaven! My russian babies are outside right now in tubs with dirt substrate and a cinderblock laid on its side. Outside temp right now is about 68, but in their tub in the sun with the sides blocking the breeze, temp are as high as 93. They also have shady areas to move to as well, which is critically important.

Real sunshine time is very good for them and being able to provide it in winter is fantastic. Take advantage!