Hermann's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose, CA
Bought this cute guy March '07 at a local pet store. It was sold to me as Greek but I think he's Hermann's. Anybody has another opinion?

Anyway, I think he has some pyramiding issues, and his body and shell is quite unproportional, not too mention that he walks "funny" unlike my other tortoises. The pet store owner told me that this is a 4-5 yrs old c.b. that the previous owner couldn't take care anymore, but not quite sure how he was raised so he looks like he is now. But the fact that matter is he's healthy. I've been feeding him only greens (romaine and dandelions, plus weeds that he eats freely in my backyard) plus calcium supplement on a weekly basis. I also hybernated him last winter for 2 months (he dug himself a hole underneat my rose bush). He looks a little better now but still not completely normal, I'll post a new picture of him once I have some time to take them. It will take quite a while to reverse the pyramiding, I guess, if I could be successful at all.

View attachment 806
View attachment 805

Last edited by a moderator:

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Looks like a Hermann's to me, but we can let the experts weigh in! He is pyramided, likely the previous owner was feeding an unhealthy diet. He likely wouldn't get like that in the wild.yl,l,

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Looks Hermann to me as well :) Pyramiding cant be reversed but over time with a good diet the effects of the pyramiding wont be AS noticeable as they are now.

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Thanks for all of the quick replies so far. Funny that how much misinformation that you could get from a pet store. The owner even told me that he's a female. Definitely not as now he's "chasing" my female greek all over my backyard :p.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's a Hermanns tortoise, Testudo hermanni boettgeri :D
I would keep him seperate from your female Greek tortoise.

Danny

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
Thanks Danny. Here are two new pictures that I took yesterday, about 14 months after the original pictures that I posted before. Not much changes in pyramiding, but at least there are some growth his shell and he's been very active in my backyard and eats a lot.

Sounds like I need to buy a female THB for him. If anyone knows or wants to sell your female c.b. THB please let me know. I live near San Francisco bay area so local pick up would be preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.