Suitable for Hermann's?

AMA904

I've indirectly mentioned/asked this in the enclosure thread, but the information can be conflicting and I wanted to pose the question to the experts (actual Hermann's owners).

I live in Jacksonville, FL and recently finished building/planting an outdoor enclosure that measures 64" wide x 10' long. The area gets shade in the morning, sun in the afternoon, and shade in the evening. I've been told by some that Hermann's need morning sun and thus this area would not be suitable. I've been told by others that as long as it is getting sun in the afternoon then I'm fine.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Regardless of what tortoise I get, I do plan on keeping it inside at night and during times when it's too cold to be outside.

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Sun in general is the important thing, but they do like to warm up for an hour or so before they start their day...helps get their little bodies working. If you're going to house indoors at night, maybe include a lamp in that enclosure that comes on an hour or two before you bring them outside? That would be my solution...let's see what others say. :)

Hermanns are great little hardy, adaptable, resilient creatures. Its a great beginners species. :)

StuMac

5 Year Member
I have a hermanns, and whilst I'm by no means an expert, I do as StarSapphire suggests. I have Slash warm up under his basking lamp, and have some breakfast, until the sun has come round to his enclosure and then I put him out. I've just taken him in and it's nearly 7:30 pm here in UK. He's been out for about 8 hours, but has water dish, weeds to graze on and 3 hides, one of which is under ground. So he is perfectly safe here.

AMA904

Sun in general is the important thing, but they do like to warm up for an hour or so before they start their day...helps get their little bodies working. If you're going to house indoors at night, maybe include a lamp in that enclosure that comes on an hour or two before you bring them outside? That would be my solution...let's see what others say. :)

Hermanns are great little hardy, adaptable, resilient creatures. Its a great beginners species. :)

I was just talking to one of my co-workers about doing just that. Would a regular light bulb work in that case since it's just for heating purposes?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
Yep! You can use an incandescent or flood-style light bulb. Wattage depends on a lot of things, like the size of your enclosure, distance of the bulb, etc. You might need to try a couple kinda and see what works best for you. If you do not already have a temperature gun, I would cannot recommend purchasing one enough. It is the best piece of husbandry equipment I ever bought.