RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

"Attack of the Zombie Tortoises", coming soon to a theater near you!:p

waynee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saugus, California, USA

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).
We have a 40plus and a 30 yr old desert tortoise, (8) 1 yr old hatchlings, a 4 day old and (2) 8 hr old twins (hatchlings). The last 2 were hatched from 1 egg and are joined thru a umbilical type cord. Anyone have sugestions on how to handle the twins.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Waynee:

141068a0afhnvcd3.gif

to the forum!

If you would post your question under the forum, "General tortoise discussion" more people would see it and you have a better chance of getting a good answer.

Until someone with "twin experience" helps you, in my opinion, just keep the babies quiet and put a little antibiotic ointment on the remaining yolk sac. I THINK it will eventually absorb and the babies should be separate at that time.

Fingers crossed!

Yvonne

Sarahs_Tortoise

5 Year Member

Hey everyone,
My name is Sarah I live in Oregon and I have 1 Russian Tortoise that is 2yrs old, and 2 Wetern Painted water turtles that are almost 1 year old.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Sarah:

181497nw3iyoy80d.gif

to the forum!

My sister lives in Corvallis, OR. Glad to have you with us here on the forum!

Yvonne

Texangie

5 Year Member
Bellville, Texas, USA

Hi Guys! I am the original Admin for a very old Chaco Tortoise Forum on geocities,,,say 15 years ago. I had found an 8" long beautiful Chaco Tortoise specimen walking across my driveway one morning...after researching his species I have taken absolutely perfect care of him for all this time and I am proud to announce that he is doing wonderfully. I have yet to find another adult Chaco but would love any input on locating one for him to live his life with...so far he has been a loner. I love that this Forum exists and will try to post photos soon of Chaco after the originals you may occassionally see of him from 15 or so years ago. My name then was Angie Moore. Spring, Texas.

Chaco lives healthiest in warm months in his outdoor enclosure...eating grasses and yellow squash and romaine and tomatoes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Angie:

193737qubunmfap1.gif

to the forum!

We have a couple people on the forum with Chaco tortoises. And you are going to be a welcome addition to our little forum family! I'm so glad you found us. Looking forward to those pictures.

Yvonne

TommyVT05

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, California

Josh!!!

How are you buddy? Hey Hey! Tommy's back in town. Haha

- Tommy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

TommyVT05 said:
Josh!!!

How are you buddy? Hey Hey! Tommy's back in town. Haha

- Tommy

Hi Tommy:

216644r50838mggl.gif

back to the forum!!

What kind of tortoise do you have?

Yvonne

Liana

5 Year Member

HI. I posted this (below) on a different forum and got some good advice, so I thought I'd try here to see if anyone can tell me anything else. I am afraid my torts are trying to hibernate, which is something I do not want. Again, this is my first post (to this site) so I apologize if I don't have it in the right place. Here it goes:

Hello. My name is Liana and this is my first post. I hope I don't mess anything up. I have a question regarding tortoises and hibernation. I am a new tort owner. I bought two Russian torts in August. They were doing great, eating inside and out, but now that cooler weather has hit, they rarely move around and I would like to know if this is normal.

They are in a 50 gallon tupperware container with coconut coir and timothy hay for substrates. I have both a heat lamp and a uvb lamp on them most of the day. I am able to keep their temperature at about 85 degrees, but I am having trouble getting it much over that. Their diet has been a mixture of red/green leaf lettuce, kale, endive, carrots, tortoise pellets (Zoo-med - Grassland), apples, and occasionally collard greens. (I'm sure I left a few greens out, but you get the gist.) I supplement with a cuttlebone left in the habitat and I sprinkle calcium with and phosphorous D3 a couple of times a week. I have not noticed them using the cuttlebone.

I live in Colorado, so there has been a weather change. My main question is, is it normal for them to stay buried for several days at a time? Should I leave them alone or should I dig them out, put them in lukewarm water, and offer food? (They only eat when I dig them out.) If it's safe to leave them, how long can I allow them to go without eating?

I greatly appreciate any help.

DENISEP

5 Year Member

Hi, my name is Denise and I live in beautiful Scottsdale AZ. I have 3 dogs and 1 cat. I also have 7 boxies - 1 three toed, 1 Chinese, 1 ornate and 4 desert. All live outdoors in large fenced enclosures that I am constantly working to improve and change (in the cooler temperatures of course). I have separated males from females but I've always kept different species of females together with no problems. I volunteer as a vet tech with a wildlife rehabilitation facility so all of my boxies are rescues that were found and brought to our facility. They are facinating little creatures and I'm always thrilled when their little heads pop out of the ground in springtime following their winter hibernation. I'm so happy to have found this website. I love reading everyones posts and seeing all the pictures. Can't wait to get some pictures of my cuties posted as well.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Liana said:
Hello. My name is Liana and this is my first post.

Hi Liana:

230314jz5u626sbh.gif

to the forum!!

You will get more responses to your question if you post it in the "regarding russians" section: http://tortoiseforum.org/forum-24.html More people are likely to see it there!

Yvonne

DENISEP said:
Hi, my name is Denise and I live in beautiful Scottsdale AZ.

Hi Denise:

230313liuimifif5.gif

to the forum!!

Yvonne

J

jamessens

Hi There.
I am James. I am studying in the engineering. I have to use my knowledge with such a wonderful site. I am new here and like to share my ideas and views to all on the site.
Thanks to all and be there.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

jamessens said:
Hi There.
I am James. I am studying in the engineering. I have to use my knowledge with such a wonderful site. I am new here and like to share my ideas and views to all on the site.
Thanks to all and be there.

Hi James: While we are very happy to encourage new members to join the forum, I was wondering if you have an interest in turtles and tortoises?

231849licwxb2u1h.gif

to the forum.

Yvonne

TommyVT05

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
San Diego, California

Yvonne,

Didn't you wrote something in the past? Haha

I like this -->

- Tommy

tcocano

5 Year Member

Hi, I'm happy to have found this source for tortoise (turtle) information. I'm a science teacher in Texas. My 7th grade class is attempting a repatriation (naturalization) project. We have purchased 11 captive bred 3-Toed Box Turtle hatchlings and will be raising them to 4-5 years with the intention of releasing them in a protected area. We would appreciate suggestions on sources for purchasing other 3-Toed Hatchlings, and general turtle husbandry.

In addition to the school hatchlings, I have 4 tortoises of different ages that live in my kitchen garden. They are my therapy....little else makes me slow down and look at God's gift of nature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

tcocano said:
Hi, I'm happy to have found this source for tortoise (turtle) information. I'm a science teacher in Texas. My 7th grade class is attempting a repatriation (naturalization) project. We have purchased 11 captive bred 3-Toed Box Turtle hatchlings and will be raising them to 4-5 years with the intention of releasing them in a protected area. We would appreciate suggestions on sources for purchasing other 3-Toed Hatchlings, and general turtle husbandry.

In addition to the school hatchlings, I have 4 tortoises of different ages that live in my kitchen garden. They are my therapy....little else makes me slow down and look at God's gift of nature.

Hi "Tcocano:"

287810wvqn73fwvs.gif

to the forum!!

Before you begin your project, do some research into the Texas state laws concerning releasing turtles. In most states this is illegal.

I applaud what you're trying to do because it all boils down to how our children regard conservation. I hope Texas allows repatriation. Its a great idea.

Look at our box turtle bonanza section and post your request there so that more forum members will notice it and help you.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.