10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Hi Lee:

1274429ur4eljvx23.gif

to the forum!!

Good news on the spider egg. I don't keep any species whose eggs require a diapause period, however, Tim & Robin, and Danny both do. If you post this part of your thread on the "exotic species" part of the forum, I'm sure you will get many responses and much help.

Yvonne

Okietorter

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member

The keeping of tortoises has come late for me and I love the peace and quiet and fun these critters have brought into my life. I bought my first redfoot about 4 years ago, just before I had an implant to help my heart. I despaired of finding other redfoots until last year when RFs seem to come from all directions. Then it was rescue of 3-toeds and an ornate box. And last, so far, the golden Greek. Born before women were allowed in veterinary schools, I am a frustrated animal student, but gaining more knowledge every day. I belong to the Oklahoma City Herp Society and volunteer in the herp dept. of the local Zoo one day a week. The Galaps love me.
Alice

mattscott777

5 Year Member

Hi Everyone!

I am picking up my Sulcata next month and have been doing lots of research over the past few weeks. I've been keeping reptiles for a number of years now and have quite a collection, but none as big as this guy will become.

I am wondering if anyone in this forum might live in or around the Niagara Region (Ontario, Canada) or knows any tortoise keepers who do? It would be nice to find someone with more direct tortoise experience in my area.

Thanks in advance,
-Matt

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Lee, Okietorter and Matt welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Alice:

1489655mo5gbumtwb.gif

to the forum!!

I think I know you from one of the YAHOO lists I belong to.

Yvonne

Hi Matt:

1030926jk1l62jo1d.gif

to the forum!!

Enjoy your sulcata and post some pictures when you get him!

Yvonne

SpikesMommy

5 Year Member

Hi Everyone!

My name is Janice and I got my Russian Tortoise, Spike, about two weeks ago. We live in Fresno, CA and I am so glad to have found this forum for help with my new baby!

:)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Spike exploring.jpg
    Spike exploring.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 8

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Janice:

1200201oel82yzln6.gif

to the forum!

I'm in Clovis...just a hop, skip and a jump away from you. We're glad to have you here with us on the forum.

Yvonne

reptilefanatic

5 Year Member

Greetings to the members and forumers,

I am Khristiann and I live at the Philippines I have a pair of Indian Stars and a sulcata, hope we can share care and husbandry of this magnificent creatures...
[/size][/b][/font]

Xena22

5 Year Member

Hello,
I live in Missouri, southern part. I moved from around the Sacramento, CA area 5 years ago. I have Reeves and box turtles. I used to belong to the Sacramento turtle and tortise club but I don't know if the club is still in existence. I don't have any tortises because it is so damp here. There are plenty of wild box turtles here.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

reptilefanatic said:
Greetings to the members and forumers,

I am Khristiann and I live at the Philippines I have a pair of Indian Stars and a sulcata, hope we can share care and husbandry of this magnificent creatures...
[/size][/b][/font]

Hi Khristiann:

2233422nhv223tqwk.gif

to the forum! You live in a great country (weather-wise) to keep tortoises. Can you post some pictures of your animals?

Yvonne

Xena22 said:
Hello,
I live in Missouri, southern part. I moved from around the Sacramento, CA area 5 years ago. I have Reeves and box turtles. I used to belong to the Sacramento turtle and tortise club but I don't know if the club is still in existence. I don't have any tortises because it is so damp here. There are plenty of wild box turtles here.

Hi Xena22:

Yes, Felice's club is still going strong.

2000150hsudmbj91n.gif

to the forum!!

Box turtles are great pets. Hope to see more of you here on the forum!

Yvonne

way2gfy

5 Year Member

Hi everyone. I am new here and my name is Dee. I posted some questions back in the Food/Diet section a couple days ago and got lots a great info already, Thanks to all the great ones here.

I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. Been here all my life. I recently came to own a Desert Tortoise on July 29th. We named him Squirt. I owned one back when I was in Jr High and it was way bigger than this little tike.

He is currently housed in a 65 gallon tank in my house because I have to 'turtle proof' my backyard.... lots of Oleanders and a very curious Chihuahua. I hope to learn lots of stuff here about giving my DT the best care possible.

Even after all the other stuff I was told to try, he only ate the Wheat Grass and this Tortoise food (looks like little chunks of hay) I got that has Oat, Timothy, Alfalfa grass and Dandelion Greens and Yucca in it. I softened it a bit with water and added a little bit of crushed Cuttlebone in with it. He chomped it up. First thing since I got him, except for the one Dandelion weed I found in my backyard but he only took 2 tiny chomps on that.
51aae8c6.jpg

I think my Squirt is too cute.
6a89316e.jpg

I am still working on what to put in his 'temp' home so any advice, please give! The stuff in the bottom is some stuff called Jungle Bed by T-Rex. I think I may get some play sand too and mix that in with it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Dee:

331188lounpxgkwh.gif

to the forum!!

Cute little tortoise. He was probably starving to death. I know you are going to enjoy keeping him and he will really enjoy living with you, someone who obviously will love and care for him properly!!

Yvonne

cosmomom

5 Year Member

:rolleyes:
Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hello everyone. My name is Lyn (cosmomom) and I am totally new to this forum and to doing "threading"... but I hope to connect with other tortoise owners for good info and tips. I have a 5 month old Hermann named Cosmo. My first tortoise . I had (2) box turtles (Woody and Shelly) for over 30 years. Sadly - we lost both within the last year.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Lyn:

1306887ztim0vnqb5.gif

to the forum!

I was not used to this format either when I first joined, but its very easy to learn and I'm sure you'll catch on in no time. We have a section specifically for the Hermann's tortoise too.

Sorry about your box turtles. Did that happen during hibernation?

Yvonne

sazzylouise

5 Year Member

hello,im in sheffield,the uk

i have one tortoise called taloula she is about 9 months old and is a horsfield tortoise

i hope this website can help me being a beginner and all

:) really excited

x

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Louise:

1844381tn4a53au97.gif

to the forum!! We hope to see much more of you in the future. There is a spot here on the forum especially for the Russian tortoise. Feel free to ask all your questions and we'll help as best we can!

Yvonne

ginger

5 Year Member

Hi my name is Ginger, I am new to Torts, I have two beautiful wonderful friends, A Russian name Snoop, my husband calls Speedy, not sure of his age, but he is most likely an adult, and a 2 year old Sulcata, sounds like we are going to call it Charlie, I have had more fun with these guys, and have had more stress relieved just watching them while they are outside roaming or inside in their tort room. I also breed and raise Quarter Horses, so Torts are alot easier to raise, and I have a Bull Mastiff, Basset Hound, 5 cats, and a Cockatoo, so you can see we really have our very own petting zoo.
I live in Oregon and thanks to Maggie, my recent friend who gave me the link to this forum I look forward to many years of Torts in my family.
Pictures will have to come later

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA

Welcome to the forum Ginger. Maggie has told us the story of your adoption of Charlie. Congratulations on rescuing Charlie. You have quite a variety of friends listed. :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Ginger:

2336521hcckms7gnr.gif

to the forum!

I hope that Maggie told you about mixing species, and that you don't allow your Russian in the same area as your new little Charlie. You did a good thing rescuing that little sulcata! Glad to have you here.

YVonne

ginger

5 Year Member

Maggie and I have talked alot and I have learned so much from her, I am constantly asking questions, she is a good resource for me to make sure I am doing things right. I have a great solarium that I put them in when it is warm and while I am gone, of course they are still in their rubbermaid tubs, but when I am home I have a great place to let them out. I use a kiddy pool for one and the other is in the yard. I have had so much fun with them. I met Bob, Maggies sulcata, and he is so dang cute, I wanted to bring him home.

Status
Not open for further replies.