introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilarybee

5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Hi,

I have a 16 year old Chaco Tortoise, I haven't seen much posted on this breed and am curious to know more. My torti is a lady by the name of Astor Piazzola. She came to me through an ex-boyfriend who had obtained her when he was a foreign exchange student in Argentina. She was just a hatchling and she was transported via flight in his pocket. At the time everyone one thought Astor was a "he" but we found out better. I took care of Astor while my ex was away and I just ended up keeping her. She is just amazing to watch and is very easy to handle. No bites! I've had her for 5 years now. Thanks for this wonderful forum!

Hilarybee

Attachments

• Reptile Mag submission of Chaco Tortoise.jpg
    Reptile Mag submission of Chaco Tortoise.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 15

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Hi Hillary:

Welcome to the forum!!

We have a couple of Chaco keepers here on the forum. You're right, there's not much written about them. One of our more experienced forum members has chaco tortoises, Egyptiandan.

We're glad you've found us! and that picture you posted is so cute!!!

schribby24

5 Year Member

Hello I'm new to tortoise forum and while I don't own a tortoise I hope too in the next month or two

-Schribby24

canadiantortoiselover

5 Year Member

hey all ,greeting from canada ,we love torts here too lol i currently own russians 1.3.sulcattas 1.2,forest hingebacks 2.2.,pancakes 2.2.,indian star,s 1.2,and looking for more lol anyway thx for the warm welcome josh ,nice site too by the way josh.:cool:

schribby24

5 Year Member

Hi tortoise forum
I'm trying to decide what tortoise to get.
It's between a Russian tortoise a hermanns tortoise a Greek tortoise or a cherry head tortoise. This is what I was told, "the cherryheads need a little more humidity than the others would, and won't handle cold as well as an adult. As far as picking between the Greeks, hermanns, russian, it's really just the look of them, as they're all similar in size, care, and price. I tend to think Greeks are the prettiest, while the hermanns or Russians are a bit more active." what do you think??  

myrtle651

10 Year Member!
NYC

schribby24 said:
Hi tortoise forum
I'm trying to decide what tortoise to get.
It's between a Russian tortoise a hermanns tortoise a Greek tortoise or a cherry head tortoise. This is what I was told, "the cherryheads need a little more humidity than the others would, and won't handle cold as well as an adult. As far as picking between the Greeks, hermanns, russian, it's really just the look of them, as they're all similar in size, care, and price. I tend to think Greeks are the prettiest, while the hermanns or Russians are a bit more active." what do you think??  
When I was thinking about getting a tortoise I did a lot of reading about the climate they came from, and if my area would be good for them. I live near Reno,NV It is very dry, with hot summer and cool winters. I decided to good with a leopard. I bought 2 hatchling in june and they have doubled in size. Looking to have them outside next year for a few hours aday.
Good luck, Kevin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

schribby24 said:
Hello I'm new to tortoise forum and while I don't own a tortoise I hope too in the next month or two

-Schribby24

Hi Schribby:

Welcome to the forum!!

canadiantortoiselover said:
hey all ,greeting from canada ,we love torts here too lol i currently own russians 1.3.sulcattas 1.2,forest hingebacks 2.2.,pancakes 2.2.,indian star,s 1.2,and looking for more lol anyway thx for the warm welcome josh ,nice site too by the way josh.:cool:

Hi Canadiantortoiselover:

Welcome to the forum!!

BARB

5 Year Member

Hello Tortoise Forum,
My name is Barb.I'm new here but not a new tortoise parent. I'm a food goddess to Pokey a 90 lb male Sulcata and Shelly a 5 yr old male Russian.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Barb:

Welcome to the forum!!

Sandi

5 Year Member
Ohio

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

Hi. I have a 45 lb. tortoise named Poky that I just adopted. Is there anything safe to polish his shell with?

Hi. I just adopted a 45 lb. tortoise named Poky. Is there anything I can use to polish his shell with that won't be harmful to him?

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California

My name is Edward, I found this forum while looking for food for my little sulcata, new to tortoise ownership. We've had him for about 3 months, his name is Oscar.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Sandi said:
Hi. I just adopted a 45 lb. tortoise named Poky. Is there anything I can use to polish his shell with that won't be harmful to him?

Hi Sandi:

Welcome to the forum!!

Its best if you just wash him off with plain water. You can use a soft bristle brush. If you coat the shell with something it causes dirt to adhere and he might over heat.

Emorales said:
My name is Edward, I found this forum while looking for food for my little sulcata, new to tortoise ownership. We've had him for about 3 months, his name is Oscar.

Hi Edward:

Welcome to the forum!! Sulcatas are great tortoises. I can't wait to see some pictures of Oscar (and of Pokey).

kelarned

5 Year Member
California

My name is Kelly. I am a long time reptile owner, but first time tortoise owner. I have 2, three week old Leopard Torts. I am just looking for some good, reliable info to keep my torts healthy and well fed. There is way too much conflicting info out there and pet store owners seem to not be giving good info either.

I just want to do what is best for my torts.

Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Kelly:

Welcome to the forum! We're happy to be able to help.

Kellybkline

5 Year Member

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

I am Kelly. I have four torts. All under one year old. One is an Aldabra .second is a high white leopard, third and forth are radiateds.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Kellybkline said:
I am Kelly. I have four torts. All under one year old. One is an Aldabra .second is a high white leopard, third and forth are radiateds.

Hi Kelly:

Welcome to the forum!!

Those are some pretty expensive tortoises you have there. Those types of tortoises are on quite a few of our "wish lists." I'd LOVE to see pictures of them and their habitats.

Leopardtort

5 Year Member

Hello everyone
I am kellyann from England and I have a 2yr old leopard tort called Henry :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Leopardtort said:
Hello everyone
I am kellyann from England and I have a 2yr old leopard tort called Henry :)

Hi Kellyann:

Welcome to the forum!! Leopards are so pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.