introductions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarahjane

5 Year Member
RE: Welcome to TortoiseForum.org !

Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).
[/quote]
Hi i am a new tortoise owner. i have Darwin age 4yrs/5yrs not sure his true age. He is a Horsfield tortoise. I got him on the 31st jan this year. He was calm and reserved for the first week and was getting used to his new home.
i have him in a tortoise table made by my husband. He gets daily soaks for 20 mins, he has a uvb strip light at one and and a heat/daylight uv bulb in the middle and shade at the other.
All is well except he has lost a little weight ( not sure if im feeding him too little or he was getting too much before) also he has the last few days trashing the place. he has been filling his bath with the substrate 50/50 sand and soil and also moving heavy stones around! i this normal?

Hi i am a new tortoise owner. i have Darwin age 4yrs/5yrs not sure his true age. He is a Horsfield tortoise. I got him on the 31st jan this year. He was calm and reserved for the first week and was getting used to his new home.
i have him in a tortoise table made by my husband. He gets daily soaks for 20 mins, he has a uvb strip light at one and and a heat/daylight uv bulb in the middle and shade at the other.
All is well except he has lost a little weight ( not sure if im feeding him too little or he was getting too much before) also he has the last few days trashing the place. he has been filling his bath with the substrate 50/50 sand and soil and also moving heavy stones around! i this normal?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Hi SarahJane:

287810wvqn73fwvs.gif

to the forum!!

Yes, its perfectly normal. Especially if you've taken the time to make it pretty and perfect...then they just naturally have to mess it up, kind of like a teen-ager's bedroom!

ecuaman2000

5 Year Member
sick male russian tortoise

Have a male russian tortoise
is my second grade's class pet.

Unfortunately he is not doing well. Substrate burned and he inhaled a lot of smoke..

= (

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi ecuaman2000:

So sorry about your tortoise, but...

737635syl7i7q530.gif

to the forum!

sarahjane

5 Year Member

emysemys said:
Hi ecuaman2000:

So sorry about your tortoise, but...

737635syl7i7q530.gif

to the forum!

Hi there I was wondering if you can help? I have had my 4 year old horsfield since 31 Jan 2010 he weighed 269grams now he weighs 248grams when should I worry? And he eats food well. Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

sarahjane said:
Hi there I was wondering if you can help? I have had my 4 year old horsfield since 31 Jan 2010 he weighed 269grams now he weighs 248grams when should I worry? And he eats food well. Thanks

Hi Sarajane:

I moved your other thread containing this question to the "regarding russians" forum. You can watch for answers to your question here:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-12615.html

and...

1099834hix95m99ef.gif

to the forum!!

(A word of advice: Its best, when you have a question of your own, to start your own thread. When you add your question to someone else's thread its liable to not get answered.)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member

ELVISSUPERRED2010.JPGFemChrry1.JPG[/color][/size][/font][/b][/i][size=medium]
Hello Folks .. well after slowing down a bit I finally signed up. Have seen this site for awhile and I must say * josh* you run a cool website on torts! Lots of great info and just nice to see others interested in the hobby. I myself recieved my first tort in 1973...
37 years later Iam still addicted! Currently focusing on " Special Reds" and Cherrys .. although many others in the mix. Hope to meet some new friends on here and " talk" torts" ...
So. Cal ~jeff~
4 Cherrys
4 Reds
2 Leopards
2 Sulcuttas
1 Box
4 Red ear
and Sally The Cockatoo!
Check um all out at WWW.TORTOISECOVE.com

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Jeff:

143528d2j5jk7egq.gif

to the forum!!

(Nice web site!)

rooster48

5 Year Member

Josh said:
Welcome to TortoiseForum.org. We strive to be the leader in tortoise (and turtle) discussions on the web, covering all topics as they are related to everything from the Cryptodira suborder (thats a fancy way of saying tortoises). Our forums allow for in-depth and specific discussions which can be read by tortoise enthusiasts worldwide!

Register Now (it's free!)

I am Josh. I am the site admin/moderator/what-have-you. I love learning about tortoises and currently care for 2 desert tortoise hatchlings.
Please use this space to introduce yourself (and your tortoises).

rooster48

5 Year Member

Newbie just trying to navigate. Nice to meet everyone.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

rooster48 said:
Newbie just trying to navigate. Nice to meet everyone.

Hi and...

728983mxkhqy0bbu.gif

to the forum!!

May we know your name? And we're much interested in the types of tortoise you have!

Laijla

5 Year Member

Hello all, I'm new to the site and trying to navigate for the first time as well... :)

My name is Laijla (pronounced Lila) and I'm a new owner of a 5-6 month old redfoot named Jet. I had spent months prior researching the care of redfoots only to have him (her?) home a few months now and realize I'm still terribly inept. Joining this list to learn.

When I was 9 months old my parents bought a redfoot from the Pomona Fair Grounds in CA (late 60's). I literally never knew a household without a redfoot roaming the backyard, patio and tiled area of our kitchen... Sadly, the year I left for college, my mother accidentally left the tortoise in the garage (we had moved to a colder climate) while she mopped the kitchen floors. She forgot to get him, temps dropped that night and he froze to death. I was hearbroken. He was about 25+ years old.

We were pretty ignorant of his care and he honestly fended for himself in the compost pile and dandelion/clover infested fenced in backyard. Thinking back, he had zero pyramiding and was a beautiful specimen. Lucky for him his instincts were stronger than our knowledge of keeping a tortoise. So, regardless of living with one for so many years, I'm quick to say, I know very little and want to learn ALL I CAN! :)

***I have a little dilema and hope I can get some feedback... a few days ago by daughters 13 pound dog managed to get into the tortoises enclosure. ((YES, I've fixed this issue, and the dog can't get near him!)) The dog wanted the cuttlebone luckily but not before he decided to try a bite of the tortoise. He left a few small puncture wounds. The vet flushed them and said it was minor but to be on the safe side did an antibiotic injection to prevent any chance of an abcess in one of the wounds. It's been 5 days and Jet still wont eat. The vet has told me his weight was good & he was in good health prior to the attack so not to worry yet. He is drinking well and has sought out the heat lamp more than normal. The vet said staying warm was essential for his immune system to heal himself. He looks great and he is still fairly active. One thing is he seems panicked of me now when before he was not. Ever since he was given the antibiotic shot he almost seems frightened of humans. :( Do you think it is likely he is making a smell association to humans with his trauma? When is too long for him to go without eating? He had been eating endive, dandelion, henbit, squash, zucchinni, carrots, strawberries, etc. prior to the attack.
Any suggestion for the little guy to aid his recovering and a return to normal?

thanks for any feedback

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Laijla:

I sent you a welcome on your other thread!!

Laijla

5 Year Member

spikethebest said:
Welcome to the Forum and what a quite LARGE introduction!!!!

:rolleyes: sorry for such a LARGE intro ~ Guess I'm just really excited about learning all I can about our newest family member! :D

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Laijla said:
spikethebest said:
Welcome to the Forum and what a quite LARGE introduction!!!!

:rolleyes: sorry for such a LARGE intro ~ Guess I'm just really excited about learning all I can about our newest family member! :D

thats perfectly fine with me!!! and im really happy you are as excited as you are. wish everyone was like that in the world! well, welcome to forum, the family, the place where everyone LOVES tortoises!!

turtleturtle

5 Year Member

HI! Great to find this forum! I have two tortoises that I aquired from someone who knew I would save these boys (now named Fred and Barney)from death. A pet shop was closed down and they were left behind :(

They are definately a kind of desert tortoise. Russian tortoise I'm thinking. They have been with me for about two years now. They look old and weathered. Probably wild capture.

I also have a Red-Eared slider. Her name is Shelley. She is 6. I've had her since she was a hatchling.

I know Spring is around the corner because their appetites have gone into overdrive. Yay!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Hi Turtleturtle:

797593oiz51djn1y.gif

to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I would be a good idea for you to post pictures of your little tortoise so we can help you identify what kind he is. They don't all receive the same kind of care, so you really need to know what he is.

This link will help you post pictures:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5245.html

Status
Not open for further replies.