Introductions and a bit of advice

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hi there,
Hope your all well, I am very new to this and just signed up :) I have a couple of questions for you tortoise lovers out there, I have a Hermann torties around 10 years old
1. I thought my Hermann tortoise was a boy but after reading up I am now un sure he has a completely flat under belly and has a slight concave on his top shell near his/her bottom, he is over 8 so I feel like he/she should be older enough for me to tell.
2. I keep getting told different things about certain foods being unsafe, tomatoes and iceberg lettuce in particular, can you confirm this for me please.
3.does my tortoise need to be in a vavrium all the time? when its a nice day I put him outside in a large enclosure and bring him in at night would you suggest he always has a heat lamp available.
4.(sorry last one) I want to get another tortoise but again heard conflicting advice, what would you suggest?
I do worry about him/her as I don't no much about tortoise and although there is lots of different info it can be conflicting. Help!!

Thank you
Ellie , West Sussex, UK
x

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Hi there,
Hope your all well, I am very new to this and just signed up :) I have a couple of questions for you tortoise lovers out there, I have a Hermann torties around 10 years old
1. I thought my Hermann tortoise was a boy but after reading up I am now un sure he has a completely flat under belly and has a slight concave on his top shell near his/her bottom, he is over 8 so I feel like he/she should be older enough for me to tell.
2. I keep getting told different things about certain foods being unsafe, tomatoes and iceberg lettuce in particular, can you confirm this for me please.
3.does my tortoise need to be in a vavrium all the time? when its a nice day I put him outside in a large enclosure and bring him in at night would you suggest he always has a heat lamp available.
4.(sorry last one) I want to get another tortoise but again heard conflicting advice, what would you suggest?
I do worry about him/her as I don't no much about tortoise and although there is lots of different info it can be conflicting. Help!!

Thank you
Ellie , West Sussex, UK
x

Welcome to TFO.

Post a few pics of the bottom and tail so we can help you with the sex. At 8 years old we should be able to tell you.

Ice burg lettuces has no vitamins in it and should not be fed. I don't own a hermanns so I can't tell you about the tomatoes but for most species they are to be fed sparingly as a treat, if at all. Go to the specific species section of this website and find the hermanns When you open it up you will see some detail care sheets that include dietary needs.

Yes it needs to be in an enclosure all the time. Outside enclosures are great. Just make sure it's safe and has plants and hides. You just don't want to let it walk around your house like a dog. Keep it in a viv in the house and or in its play area outside.

Many people have multiple torts but there are a few basic rules. Never keep tortoise as pairs. Regardless of species it's best to keep them as solitary animals so if you want another one make a second viv for it. It's not lonely and doesn't want a friend. Some species, not sure of hermanns is one of them, do well in groups like 1 male tort and 3 female torts but never 2.

Check out www.gardenstatetortoise.com as Chris has loads of info on there. Pause be sure to check out the hermanns section of this site.

ELLIE753

Welcome to TFO.

Post a few pics of the bottom and tail so we can help you with the sex. At 8 years old we should be able to tell you.

Ice burg lettuces has no vitamins in it and should not be fed. I don't own a hermanns so I can't tell you about the tomatoes but for most species they are to be fed sparingly as a treat, if at all. Go to the specific species section of this website and find the hermanns When you open it up you will see some detail care sheets that include dietary needs.

Yes it needs to be in an enclosure all the time. Outside enclosures are great. Just make sure it's safe and has plants and hides. You just don't want to let it walk around your house like a dog. Keep it in a viv in the house and or in its play area outside.

Many people have multiple torts but there are a few basic rules. Never keep tortoise as pairs. Regardless of species it's best to keep them as solitary animals so if you want another one make a second viv for it. It's not lonely and doesn't want a friend. Some species, not sure of hermanns is one of them, do well in groups like 1 male tort and 3 female torts but never 2.

Check out www.gardenstatetortoise.com as Chris has loads of info on there. Pause be sure to check out the hermanns section of this site.

Amazing, Thank you so much, I am loving this site already!! I will post a pic when I get home. Thanks again!

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Sure no problem. your tortoise would do best living outside as much as possible, weather permitting.

ELLIE753

Yeah we have and old chicken run that we used to use to introduce chicks to the hens when we had new chicks so he is in that whenever its nice which he loves (I hope) you can pick it up and move it around so I try to keep him in the sunny spots with shade available
. I love seeing him outside when the weather is good but do tend to bring him in in the eve, I am in the process of building him something that has a house inside of the run so he can go inside if he wants too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ellie, and welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi there,

Hello and welcome.

1. Post a plastron pic showing the tail and we'll give it our best shot.
2. Lettuce and tomatoes are not toxic, but they lack the fiber, nutrient content and calcium ratio of the broadleaf weeds that your tortoise should be eating. If your tortoises stomach is full of this "junk food", then it can't full full of the things he should be eating. Feeding a bit of lettuce or tomato once in a while won't kill your tortoise, its just not the best food you could be feeding. I will post some feeding suggestions at the end of this post.
3. I think the best strategy is to have a large, well designed indoor enclosure with the correct temps, conditions and lighting for your tortoise AND an large, well designed, safe outdoor enclosure for fair weather. Whether he needs a heat lamp all the time depends on your temperatures and set up. He should not need a heat lamp outside when the weather is nice, and he should not have one at night as they need it dark at night. If your house is too cold at night, there are several heating strategies that will keep it dark for sleeping.
4. Get another tortoise. Get lots of them if you want, but either house them separately, or make sure you get a group of 3 or more with only one male. Even when you attempt to have the right sex ratio, they still sometimes fight or get overly aggressive, so you must be prepared to house them all individually , if needed. You will need a very large enclosure to keep more than one. Most tortoises do best all alone as the sole king of their castle. They don't want or need companionship, they don't like to share, and other tortoises are seen as intruders to the territory, not "friends".

Good questions! Keep them coming.

Food suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

ELLIE753

Thank you
Hello and welcome.

1. Post a plastron pic showing the tail and we'll give it our best shot.
2. Lettuce and tomatoes are not toxic, but they lack the fiber, nutrient content and calcium ratio of the broadleaf weeds that your tortoise should be eating. If your tortoises stomach is full of this "junk food", then it can't full full of the things he should be eating. Feeding a bit of lettuce or tomato once in a while won't kill your tortoise, its just not the best food you could be feeding. I will post some feeding suggestions at the end of this post.
3. I think the best strategy is to have a large, well designed indoor enclosure with the correct temps, conditions and lighting for your tortoise AND an large, well designed, safe outdoor enclosure for fair weather. Whether he needs a heat lamp all the time depends on your temperatures and set up. He should not need a heat lamp outside when the weather is nice, and he should not have one at night as they need it dark at night. If your house is too cold at night, there are several heating strategies that will keep it dark for sleeping.
4. Get another tortoise. Get lots of them if you want, but either house them separately, or make sure you get a group of 3 or more with only one male. Even when you attempt to have the right sex ratio, they still sometimes fight or get overly aggressive, so you must be prepared to house them all individually , if needed. You will need a very large enclosure to keep more than one. Most tortoises do best all alone as the sole king of their castle. They don't want or need companionship, they don't like to share, and other tortoises are seen as intruders to the territory, not "friends".

Good questions! Keep them coming.

Food suggestions:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food
So much brilliant advice on one message! I am about to take a picture so maybe you could help me with his sex? Also I will send pic of enclosure see what you think I feel like it maybe a bit boring?!

ELLIE753

image.jpg And what do you think about his indoor enclosure. About to move house and build a bigger one but until then he has this for a few weeks. I am going to get some play sand as well, the corset opposite the stones has a roof that I have taken off for hidey whole and he also has a detachable heat lamp for colder days? Any thoughts?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello Ellie and Welcome to Tortoise Forum where we have the best up to date tortoise info in the world. And lots of friendly, knowledgeable people.
Pretty sure it's a female, So Bill is now Billie ?
Nice healthy looking girl in my opinion.
With the enclosures, bigger is always better and you need a hide for the tortoise to shelter from the sun and feel safe.
Planting some safe plants can accomplish the same and give some interest to the tort.
To me the enclosure is a bit small and plain.
The roof is good, but don't bother with the sand. If a tortoise eats sand it can cause impaction and this leads to all sorts of serious health issues sometimes.
Good luck.