Introduction!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizz

5 Year Member
I'm Lizz, I'm going to be 18 in April and I have a Redfoot Tortoise that is roughly 9 months old or so. I say roughly because I really don't know for sure. I bought him on September 21 of 2011 (I know his birthday by heart :p) He was nearing 2.75 inches then. He might have been less; I wasn't exactly skilled in the art of measuring! Anyway, he's around 3 inches now.

Does this growth sound normal to you? He's not the biggest eater. I just want to make sure my little one is growing normally!

Anyway, his name is Koopernicus, Koop for short. It was supposed to be a mixture of Koopa and Copernicus, whom we were studying in Physics the same week; I wanted to give him a nice dignified name that will carry him through the years, lol. He's a little sweetie. He is VERY courageous (Or kind of dumb) they go hand in hand though! He is always on the move exploring, though he can be quite a little Grump at times.

If all is well with him, I'm planning on buying another little one pretty soon. I want to introduce the new one while Koop is still young.

I originally found this forum in August of last year when I spent some time researching before ordering him. I went away but have lately come back. I've finally got around to joining.

It's nice to meet you all though. It might sound weird, but I feel like I know a lot of you already from lurking the forum. :p
Oh, and we are from Louisiana!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome I also own a red foot
With tortoises it is often a fine line between courage and dumb, LOL

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Liz! Welcome officially to TFO. Glad you have stopped lurking and finally are giving us a chance to know you and your redfoot. :) Back in September, what made you decide you wanted to get a tortoise and why a redfoot?

ashleigh-Jade22

5 Year Member
UK - South West
Welcome Liz,
Im new to the forum too but my gosh dont i love it already!! I too have a red foot about 1 year old called Henry! ive had him 5 days now and am completely in love with him!! He hasnt had enough time to settle in properly/show me his (big im sure!) personality but slowly we are getting there! i get him out for cuddles every evening and talk to him loads so he gets used to my voice!
Have fun on the forum! :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Lizz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Lizz

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Hi Liz! Welcome officially to TFO. Glad you have stopped lurking and finally are giving us a chance to know you and your redfoot. :) Back in September, what made you decide you wanted to get a tortoise and why a redfoot?

Thank you! :) Well, I've always really loved animals and also have entertained high hopes of potentially having a career involved with animals.. (At this point though, i realize it's highly unlikely, so I've settled on hospice nursing for my major instead) I lived the first 13 years of my life in a small, cramped apartment that didn't allow pets of any kind, and due to a court order regarding my sister 4 years or so ago, we moved and are currently renting a house. It just so happens that our landlords just recently stopped allowing dogs a year or so ago before we came; so, instead, I started seriously thinking about creating a very nice, beautiful fish tank for our home. (My parents are usually pretty lenient about my little projects just as long as I pay for them myself; for instance, last year, I introduced recycling and a home vegetable/herb garden into my home. My dad still has difficulties with the recycling, though. :D) Anyways, I went to Petsmart and a couple of other pet-oriented places scoping out possible fish when my boyfriend, who was with me, noticed a tank of Russian Tortoises. I was thrilled! I had never even considered a reptile. The idea of caring for and loving a tortoise (even if it is one-sided) really just attached itself to me like a parasite until tortoises started popping up in my dreams, lol. So, I did a lot of research and started bringing informational sheets to school to read during my off hours until I realized that this was something that I really wanted to do. Originally, I planned on getting a Greek Tortoise, but when I first came across the redfoots I was just infatuated with them; to me, they are just so beautiful. And also, my boyfriend got really excited by all these ideas of building possible enclosures in the future, lol; he's a big planner/builder type of person, so he was immediately on board with the idea, too. Oh, he won't have any part in my garden, but he just loved decorating and building Koop's home. So, that's how that went. Sorry if that was long. It's due to a combination of me not being used to forums and me being used to long explanations!

Ascott: Well this just works out perfectly, because I LOVE to show pictures! :D

Lizz

5 Year Member
ashleigh-Jade22 said:
Welcome Liz,
Im new to the forum too but my gosh dont i love it already!! I too have a red foot about 1 year old called Henry! ive had him 5 days now and am completely in love with him!! He hasnt had enough time to settle in properly/show me his (big im sure!) personality but slowly we are getting there! i get him out for cuddles every evening and talk to him loads so he gets used to my voice!
Have fun on the forum! :D

Thank you!
Henry is such a cute little name! :D
The first day I got Koop he was romping around the backyard looking for stuff to climb over, but then the next day he suddenly became a real big sourpuss. He still has his bipolar moments. Somedays he's a little happy adventurer and others his an immovable grump. haha
I guess we have that in common, though.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Lizz said:
So, that's how that went. Sorry if that was long. It's due to a combination of me not being used to forums and me being used to long explanations!

Hey long is actually great, because it really added so much to my knowledge of you! :tort:

Lizz

5 Year Member
Jacqui, that's true too; That "essay" was pretty detailed, lol.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! :)
I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.