Hi! I'm Katie and this is Kurma

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Belleville, IL
Hello!

My name is Katie and i have a wee sulcata named Kurma (short for Kurmaraja)

I'm not sure how old he/she is but i've had him for a couple months now. He's 4 inches long and 2.75 inches wide. He's shy but very active and is very excited for his light to come on each day :) I attached a pic and let me know what you think! :D

I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Attachments

• 427526_1567876717478_1252230457_31075170_1297639290_n.jpg
    427526_1567876717478_1252230457_31075170_1297639290_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 58

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Does Kurma get any real sun time? It looks like he may be starting to suffer from MBD (metabolic bone disease). See how his shell dips down up on top instead of having a nice dome shape?

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
I live in Michigan, his tank is under a window but we haven't had the weather to bring him outside :/ any tips? His shell was like that when i got him

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm afraid that the people you got Kurma from didn't do right by him. In my best judgement, he looks to be about 3 or 4 years old. A three year old sulcata should be much bigger than that. Thank goodness you have him now and he can be on the road to much better care!

Here's a thread showing you what to feed him:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ed-Greeks-Russians-Sulcatas-etc#axzz1qcidMiav

And it is VERY important to get him some real sunshine so that the calcium he eats works for him. Without the sun, the calcium just gets pee'd out.

A good substitute for the sun is a MVB (Mercury Vapor Bulb). They're quite expensive, but they do a pretty good job.

The window glass doesn't allow the UVB rays to penetrate.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
okay! thanks for the advice!!! I'm growing trays of fescue and orchard grass for him indoors with organic seeds and soil. I also have some dandelions growing for him too! Thanks for the estimate on the age, i wasn't very sure...

And YES I haven't had very good luck with the place i got him, i saw him and fell in love although i had gotten a forest hindgeback from the same seller and that little guy died :( RIP Morla

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sorry about Morla. But don't take it too hard. She probably wasn't in good shape when you got her, and they aren't the easiest tortoise to care for.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
thanks! yeah the guy failed to mention that the hinge backs were the cheapest ones he could get :-l i was like no kidding it died! it was unfortunate but i think i've got a good tort this time

ps. I just bought one of the mercury bulbs you suggested. I'm hoping the snow here melts fast so i can take him out

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
who are you buying these animals from? something is not right...
I hope you have a yard to set up for this sulcata.. he is in desperate need of sun, calcium and good food.
Im glad he is now with someone who cares enough to try to do whats best for him.

kurmaraja12

5 Year Member
Belleville, IL
yes he is, I've got him on calcium, growing grasses and chicory for him, and a nice light :) hopefully it's turning him around

Status
Not open for further replies.