Introduction

Galva Fireshell

Hi there! My name's Harry, I live in Greece. I just got a Greek little baby tortoise a few days ago, I've built his enclosure with everything it needs inside, except UV light, because there's sunlight in the room and It's coming in from many directions, It's a very bright place. It's very active, only settles down to sleep in the afternoon. I noticed something though, this little guy/girl (I don't know yet), doesn't like staying under the sunlight, he/she always runs to a shady place and sits there, especially if I allow him/her to roam, because exploring is its favorite. Also do they usually drink a lot of water? Cause I've never seen mine drinking, although a small portion of water is missing and I notice it everyday

Attachments

• 1469170985272.jpg
    1469170985272.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Location (City and/or State)
Castleton, VT
welcome! beautiful tortoise! i would highly recommend soaking him/her everyday in warm water. can we see a picture of your enclosure?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Babies need to be soaked every day in warm water for 20-30 minutes. The sun light through the windows is not giving the proper UVB needed as it is diminished going thru glass and screen. He needs to be able to bask under a heat light that the temp is at least 95f. in order to properly digest its food. A pic of the enclosure will helps us to help you better.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello and welcome.

Please read this about Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And the Greek Tortoise Care Guide
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-testudo-graeca-care-sheet-overview.87146/

Pictures of your enclosure will help us to help you more.

If your tort doesn't go outside, it must have a UVB lamp as UVB from the sun does not transmit through window glass. I'll post a lighting summary to help shortly.

Your tort should not be allowed to roam free. It should stay in its enclosure. Besides the risk of escape and being stepped on (you only have be distracted for a moment :( ) there is also the risk your tort will eat something it shouldn't. Torts have outstanding colour vision, but don't always use common sense to work out that brightly coloured things aren't food before eating them.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Here's a lighting summary:

Your tort needs:

1. A basking lamp
This must hang vertically, not at an angle. Basking is essential to raise your tortoise's core temperature so it can digest food.

2. UVB light
Read the instructions for the source to see how close to the substrate it must be. UVB is essential so your tort can process dietary calcium and have healthy bones and shell.

Both 1 and 2 are available from the sun for those able to live outside.

UVB does not pass through glass or perspex(plexiglass) - light must be direct to be effective not through a window. Mesh screening can also interfere with UVB.

3. A minimum overnight temperature (see the care sheet for your species) and complete darkness at night to sleep.

Notes

(a) A Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB) provides combined UVB and Basking. Alternatively you can use 2 bulbs: a tube UVB and a reflector bulb for basking (a household reflector - not low energy or halogen - from B&Q will do the job; it's the wattage that counts)

(b) Ignore any references to UVA you may read - it's misleading marketing speak.

(c) Compact coil UVB harms tortoise eyes and must not be used.

(d) Basking and UVB should be on a timer so the light(s) are on for 12 hours a day. Temperature under the basking is regulated by its height above the substrate.

(e) Overnight, depending on your home, you may need additional heat. You get this from a CHE (Ceramic Heat Emitter) which must be on a thermostat.

(f) Torts have outstanding colour vision and love red and purple food. Coloured heat lamps colour tank decor and torts don't always apply intelligence to what they eat, resulting them in eating tank decor. Coloured bulbs should not be used.

Measurements

There are 4 important temperatures that you must know for an indoor enclosure.
- Directly under the basking lamp
- Warm side
- Cool side
- Overnight Minimum

You will need digital thermometers for accuracy.

A temperature gun thermometer (inexpensive from Amazon) measures temperature accurately in specific places like directly under the basking lamp.

A min/max thermometer so you know the min/max temperatures in your home by day and night.

You should also get a good digital probe hygrometer to measure humidity.

Thermometers and hygrometer that stick to the side of the enclosure tend to be less accurate.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Harry!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum to you and your gorgeous little tort! :D

Galva Fireshell

I do bathe it everyday, but not for that long, the water cools down very quickly no matter how much I boil it, even though the weather is very warm right now, I do change it once, but I think it'll be a bit tiring/stressing for the tort to have its water (I'm talking about the water it's bathing in) changed every like, 5 minutes. Also, the sunlight comes directly in, there are no windows/glass. I started feeding it with lettuce, and cabbage, but I heard it's actually not good for it, and that I should mostly provide it with weeds, I have clover too. As for the water, I don't know why, but unless I place it in the water bowl it won't drink. I keep the house clean, but I guess I still shouldn't allow it to roam, I'll just do that.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Hello from neighboring Turkey, Harry! What a lovely baby!

Regarding nutrition, here's a good link @Tidgy's Dad recommended to me just a little earlier: http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/nutrientanalysis.htm My guess is you will be able to find a lot of weeds and field flowers that your baby would normally eat in the wild.

And yes, same here - my younger Greek rarely drinks by himself unless I put him in the water dish.