Introduction

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Buhl, Idaho
Hi everyone! My name is Josh and I'm new to the forum. I live in Riverside, CA. KIMG0019.jpg KIMG0012.jpg KIMG0021.jpg IMG_20150605_160445.jpg IMG_20150518_200421.jpg KIMG0003.jpg IMG_20150605_152440.jpg I've been around tortoises all my life. My mom raised, rescued, rehabilitated, and bred tortoises and was an active member of the CTTC (California Turtle and Tortoise Club), so I've always been around tortoises of many different species. In addition to my own pet tortoises, my wife and I recently took in a few rescues and decided to take our tortoise game to the next level and get involved in our local chapter of the CTTC, as well as join a couple online groups and forums so as to become more familiar with the tortoise (ing?) community. And here we are! Currently, we have seven tortoises. One adult sulcata, one sub adult sulcata, two sulcata yearlings, and one adult and two hatchling California Desert Tortoises (captive bred of course, and permitted and on file with the California Depatment of Fish and Game.)

I've been checking out the topics and posts on this forum for about a week now, and I love this place! It's become my favorite place on the internet. Really looking forward to learning more from all the experience that's available here. Thanks to all of you for all your time and efforts!

Pictures of my torts to come soon...KIMG0019.jpg

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Well that upload was interesting... Sorry, still trying to get used to the format :)

Killerrookie

SULCATAS!!! Love your torts so much and man those sulcatas are beautiful. Welcome to the forums!!

Austin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Looks like your big sulcata had a rough start. Riverside is a great area for tortoises.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Hello and welcome. Looks like your big sulcata had a rough start. Riverside is a great area for tortoises.

Thanks Tom. Yeah, Humpty Dumpty was tied up with a rope in a yard for the first half of his life. We got him from a family that rescued him from that yard, and they estimate him to be 13yo. I'll be doing a seperate post asking advice on his upkeep and condition. He's a fully normally functioning sulcata besides his shell abnormality, eats and poops and troops around like a horse.

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
Until you get another one!
You called @Tidgy's Dad. My wife decided to bring home another one that I have NO IDEA what to do with. Apparently it's too early to determine the sex, but we're pretty sure of the species. Here's a picture:

KIMG0120.jpg

And another from a different angle:

KIMG0123.jpg

I've already got a space reserved for the little guy, but my wife keeps staunchly refusing all my suggestions for substrates and looked at me like a mad man when she came home and I had wired a UV light above his enclosure. Anyone have any advice or experience that I can use to talk some sense into her? She keeps pulling the cuttlebone out of his pen and putting it away. Next thing I know she'll be refusing the calcium supplements I bought for when he gets here... I don't know what's gotten in to her. Help!

Tortugatron

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Buhl, Idaho
You called @Tidgy's Dad. My wife decided to bring home another one that I have NO IDEA what to do with. Apparently it's too early to determine the sex, but we're pretty sure of the species. Here's a picture:

View attachment 135613

And another from a different angle:

View attachment 135612

I've already got a space reserved for the little guy, but my wife keeps staunchly refusing all my suggestions for substrates and looked at me like a mad man when she came home and I had wired a UV light above his enclosure. Anyone have any advice or experience that I can use to talk some sense into her? She keeps pulling the cuttlebone out of his pen and putting it away. Next thing I know she'll be refusing the calcium supplements I bought for when he gets here... I don't know what's gotten in to her. Help!
Okay. I've been corrected. Apparently the PC term is "crib", not "enclosure" or "pen". Sheesh. I dunno why people are so picky about these things.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Enclosure's fine too.
Crib? Pit pretentious says moi.
Don't forget to ensure very high humidity in the 'crib' and try Mazuri!
Congratulations!!!!!
Terrific. Exciting time for you both.