introduction

hi I'm Lauren and harry is my hermann's tortoise.I have had harry since December 2015 hes 2 years old.I have looked on this forum plenty of times for information and guidance that has helped me a lot with harry so thank you everyone.I have decided to join as sometimes when I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answers so here I am.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi Lauren and welcome to you and Harry, there's lots to learn but this is the best place to learn it!
We love pics, which also help members give advice on any improvements you can make to enclosures etc. to make it as tort friendly and safe as possible.

hi Lyn,I have just posted a question on when would be the best time to upgrade their enclosure,harry is in a table top box which is fine at the moment but I'm just thinking ahead,as I have a Childs snooker table with like a 5in one games and would make a great new box for him.will upload a pic of his enclosure now I will have to get pics of harry as all I have is video because I love catch every moment he is such a little character x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Looks good. You may find terracotta plant saucers for water dishes, sunk level with substrate, are easier and safer for Harry to access, but depends how big/small he is.
The bigger the enclosure the better as they love to wander. I think a minimum of 4' x 8' is usually recommended as they grow, but you can update as necessary.

I have looked around for those,but cant seem to find any small ones only seen the big ones,which I have got and will put in his new enclosure as that will be bigger,he does seem to manage with them ones for now.he is only 8cm long and weighs 195g x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I have looked around for those,but cant seem to find any small ones only seen the big ones,which I have got and will put in his new enclosure as that will be bigger,he does seem to manage with them ones for now.he is only 8cm long and weighs 195g x
The danger with pet shop dishes is that the sides can be too steep and little torts can flip over onto their backs when trying to get out and drown. It's difficult to tell how steep the sides of your dishes are from the view above.
If you are in US I think most members buy their shallow saucers from places like Walmart, Lowes or Home Depot etc. In the UK I buy mine in places like Homebase, B&Q or garden centres - only about £1.

theses are only slim sides,will upload a pic tomorrow when hes out having some food,I'm in the UK will have a look there thank you Lyn x

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
theses are only slim sides,will upload a pic tomorrow when hes out having some food,I'm in the UK will have a look there thank you Lyn x
You're welcome.
If it's shallow you may not have an issue and may be OK just sinking it to substrate level.