Intimidated by Hatchling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
After making my habitat list, getting a bunch of feedback, plus additional reading I've found myself overwhelmed by the care of a hatcthling. Upon further consideration I have decided that perhaps a wee baby tortoise may not be my best bet.

So I am reviewing other options.

Perhaps a Russian or a Greek tortoise? Maybe a red foot? A tort with a year of more of life already under his/her shell.

I talked with the lady at Gulf Coast Turtle Rescue and they have a lot of box turtles in need of homes too...

so I am back to heavy research mode.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Once I get my own place, I will be trying to adopt a few from them as well.

Sometimes it's best to start with a older tortoise so you can grasp the care that will be required and then eventually move on to a hatchling.

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
I am very intimidated by hatchlings too, they require a little more extensive care. In my opinion.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The care of a hatchling is pretty much the same as for an adult, however you have to pay closer attention to them. They can go downhill quickly and they are not as forgiving of poor care as a more established tortoise is.

Think about one of those box turtles. They are great little animals. They get to be very people oriented and are quite a bit of fun to keep.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
hatchlings aren't so bad if you have the time :D If you have a proper set up with an accurate thermometer/hygrometer and temps/humidity is precise then they will thrive...it's not hard! I actually thought it was hard because the bad breeder I bought mine from told me until I got some from someone on this TFO site and learned alot about them. They are interesting but IDK if you have room for certain types, since I got a pair of sulcatas and have the room for them to grow. Unfortunately, this is my first experience with a tortoise so I can't tell you anything on specific breeds. I've dealt with box turtles from the past and RES but that's about it.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
dmarcus said:
Once I get my own place, I will be trying to adopt a few from them as well.

Sometimes it's best to start with a older tortoise so you can grasp the care that will be required and then eventually move on to a hatchling.

This is kind of what I was thinking too. Maybe get my feet wet with a rescue box turtle and see what happens.

nicoleandrocky said:
I am very intimidated by hatchlings too, they require a little more extensive care. In my opinion.

Good to know I'm not alone. :)

emysemys said:
The care of a hatchling is pretty much the same as for an adult, however you have to pay closer attention to them. They can go downhill quickly and they are not as forgiving of poor care as a more established tortoise is.

Think about one of those box turtles. They are great little animals. They get to be very people oriented and are quite a bit of fun to keep.

That's part of the problem. I don't have the time home to pay as close attention as a wee one might need.

I am reading up on outdoor box turtle habitats now and feeding.

MORTYtheTORTY said:
hatchlings aren't so bad if you have the time :D If you have a proper set up with an accurate thermometer/hygrometer and temps/humidity is precise then they will thrive...it's not hard! I actually thought it was hard because the bad breeder I bought mine from told me until I got some from someone on this TFO site and learned alot about them. They are interesting but IDK if you have room for certain types, since I got a pair of sulcatas and have the room for them to grow. Unfortunately, this is my first experience with a tortoise so I can't tell you anything on specific breeds. I've dealt with box turtles from the past and RES but that's about it.

Maybe once I've had some experience with an older torty I won't be so fearful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.