Gulf Coast Box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Know this part of the forum is tortoises, but I'm starting threads in a couple of areas because I'm hoping to get info quickly. A woman contacted our local Herp society to try and find homes for several displaced gulf coast box turtles that have taken up residence around her home. There must be some construction or something going on because 3 have been hit and killed by cars and others have been killed by the neighbors dogs. The woman is sympathetic to their plight but has NO interest in keeping any herself. I am considering taking one in but if I did, it would be my first tort/turtle. I hadn't really intended to get ANY torts until I retire in a couple of years, but have a soft spot for critters needing rescue. Does anyone here have experience with gulf coast box turtles?

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
I don't but it would be a great thing if you could rescue some. Good luck!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I have a gulf coast boxie that is coming up on a couple of years old. I also had one when I had box turtles about 15 to 20 years ago. They get much larger than the other box turtles. And though all box turtles benefit from some humidity, the gulf coast in particular needs a high humidity with warm temps. And a large shallow soaking pan. They like water.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
If she is willing to ship I would take some. To start my gcbt colony. I eventually plan on having breeding groups of all Terrapene carolina subspecies for my efforts in ex situ species conservation. Any way I hope that you can save as many as possible and if possible get them into a breeding program. After all they are one of the most restricted (as far as range goes) of the Carolina subspecies it think only the Yucatan has a smaller range. Though the Florida and Mexicans also have small ranges.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Saloli- that's GREAT! I have her phone number and will check with her.

By the way- what town/state do you live in? (re shipping plans)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I spoke with the woman about the turtles. She has actually been keeping them in a big yard that her husband fenced in for her. She's had them long enough that they've hatched eggs and she's got both hatchlings and juveniles. She has at least 4 adults she wants to re-home. She actually does NOT know what type of box turtles they are. I told her about this forum so she will probably join. I decided NOT to take one of her turtles right now, but I appreciate the support and the info from all the folks I contacted,

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
That's my guess. She said when they moved into their house (a while back, but don't know how long) they noticed a big hole by the front steps. Whenever she would water her shrubs by the front door, several box turtles would come out of the hole to the water. That's when she made her husband put chain link fence around a big part of the yard. She has named one of the adults Harry Houdini because he climbs the chain link fence! Now that they're reproducing, her husband is getting fed up with it all and wants her to thin out the herd. She lives in Plaquemine, Louisiana. I'm REALLY hoping she'll join this forum- she sounds really sweet and VERY concerned about the turtles.

Allghoi Khorkhoi

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I've had three for years that were given to me as rescues and they are the hardiest of all box turtles - never have they showed any signs of distress even though one has a fire damaged shell which has 50% bone showing. They live outside in a pen with wading pool, hibernate there and never stop trying to mate each other even though they are all males. They are climbers and like to dig so any pen should take into account measures to keep them from escaping. If they were as beautiful as Easterns (and some are very nice) they would definitely be the box turtle of choice! I love their size and wouldn't hesitate to get more but I live far from their range and am reluctant to pay up for anything I can't handle in person.

Hardiest turtles I've ever had!

Status
Not open for further replies.