Intelligence/Learning

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
CT New Haven.
RT can learn location of its hide. I am now teaching to use a walk through door. The door is hinged so he can push through. The door is a different color for reference. RT I must first learn location. Then know to push color to get to reward. 2 days. This test will prove that they are smart. I believe that RT will learn fast. I will update.

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
Interesting experiment. Look forward to results. Keep us posted.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Day 3 RT shows improvement. Add RT watching another tortoise go through door. Tends to linger near door. Pushing door more. Many times successfully in. Hopefully soon he can navigate recognize then push and walk through door. Each time accomplished there is a reward.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Day 3 RT shows improvement. Add RT watching another tortoise go through door. Tends to linger near door. Pushing door more. Many times successfully in. Hopefully soon he can navigate recognize then push and walk through door. Each time accomplished there is a reward.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Day 3 RT is helped by me pushing RT2 through the door so he can watch. I heard that they learn better from seeing others. Today is even better. He did it many times in training so now I sit back to watch him with no help or distraction. Only problem is when he go to the other side of the room to investigate. It’s hot but I work with him for 15 minutes then break at least 5-8 times a day.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just wondering what we are “learning” here? I think lots of torts use their houses with doors with no “formal training.”. Maybe I’m missing out on what you are teaching? Some pix will help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RT can learn location of its hide. I am now teaching to use a walk through door. The door is hinged so he can push through. The door is a different color for reference. RT I must first learn location. Then know to push color to get to reward. 2 days. This test will prove that they are smart. I believe that RT will learn fast. I will update.
With NO exceptions every single rescued sulcata I ever put into my backyard while waiting to be adopted, probably 20 or 30 of 'em, headed right through the vinyl strip door and into the shelter without any coaching.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
I’m doing this because I love Russian T’s. I have had mine since I was 15 and I’m 43 now. I also know that they have great personality. This door is a bit of a challenge because you have to really comit to push through. It looks like a boarder. A wall. With high visablity yellow on the door for identification. He can do it now when I work with him. I want to see how long till he does this on his own.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Day 3 RT is helped by me pushing RT2 through the door so he can watch. I heard that they learn better from seeing others. Today is even better. He did it many times in training so now I sit back to watch him with no help or distraction. Only problem is when he go to the other side of the room to investigate. It’s hot but I work with him for 15 minutes then break at least 5-8 times a day.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
Little work with him on the 4th. I did see him do it by himself. Plus if he is near the door he looks at it carefully. He knows how to push and keep pushing to get through. The only thing is when he is distracted by seeing something move on the other side of the room. But it took him a short time understand and perform. There is not enough testing information on them. I believe that they have empathy also. Many ppl believe they are only motivated by food. However it depends on the tortoise. I have one outgoing and another that has personality of a rock! Lol

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
A funny update on the mini “doggie “ door. My Russian has mastered how to use this to get treats ect. On the few times I blocked the door with a 5 gallon bucket he just pushed it out of the way. I’m fascinated with watching him solve problems. I think it started when I was 15 and I was playing with him. I kept yawning in front of him. After 2-3 times he copied and yawned also. I’m not saying that it means anything specific but it did start my fascination with torts.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
How much can a tortoise really remember? We know that they remember burrows. They know the hides they use but how far can they recall. Has anyone put tracking devices on them and logged the patterns. I’m sure they have been studied but to what extent. Reptiles are becoming more popular than ever as pets. From what I have seen there are two different groups. The people that feel they have some intelligence and some sort of empathy. As well as the other side that feel like they are lower on the evolutionary scale so they are not bonding with their owners. They only react to food and do not recognize owners. What do you think? How much time has the average person spent with a tortoise. I’m guessing not much, it is followed by a niche group. I have been exposed to them from a young age. The more time exposed to them I think that there is more to them than meets the eye. However, it also depends on the individual. Some are bright others are down right dumb. Friendly pets are eager for companionship quite social as for others retreat into their shell and run from the first sight of human owners. They differ as much in personality as we do. From the time I have been exposed to and I can honestly say that I have a great deal of time with them. Willing to say more than most, but what makes someone an expert on this. There is no information on how intelligent. Plus all the things that I have seen state the are not emotional creatures at all. I want to prove otherwise. But where does one start?

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
There's been some work done with Red Foots. They can remember important things for at least 18 months

They also can learn to navigate mazes and adapt to changing conditions by altering their strategy to deal with it which actually puts them ahead of rats and other mammals.

I would imagine that RT's (and other torts) are similar enough that you could draw comparisons. Certainly, the general research techniques being developed and used for reptiles could be applied to your own endeavors. It also has all the makings of being a very deep rabbit hole for you to explore since this is a pretty new field of study.

Duckster RT

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CT New Haven.
There's been some work done with Red Foots. They can remember important things for at least 18 months

They also can learn to navigate mazes and adapt to changing conditions by altering their strategy to deal with it which actually puts them ahead of rats and other mammals.

I would imagine that RT's (and other torts) are similar enough that you could draw comparisons. Certainly, the general research techniques being developed and used for reptiles could be applied to your own endeavors. It also has all the makings of being a very deep rabbit hole for you to explore since this is a pretty new field of study.
I did that at 43. Now 47. I threw away the door. He mastered it. I’m n to empathy. That’s easy. Pets. Ppl. Want to be treated with kindness. Even cold blooded friends can love.