Injured Eastern Box Turtle

Nova51

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Hi, someone gave me an injured eastern box turtle they said it got hit by a car. But when I checked him out it looks like an animal attacked him and took his back right foot and his tail. I cleaned up the foot and tail but my question is would he be able to take care of himself if i were to put him back?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Hi, someone gave me an injured eastern box turtle they said it got hit by a car. But when I checked him out it looks like an animal attacked him and took his back right foot and his tail. I cleaned up the foot and tail but my question is would he be able to take care of himself if i were to put him back?

Do you mind posting a picture? It will help to see the extent of the injury.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'd be surprised at some of the horrific injuries wild turtles have recovered from. I wouldn't put it back until the wound is no longer raw, as raw flesh attracts flies, then fly eggs, then maggots.

Nova51

Georgia
turtle_by_novakillz-dcm6o3t.jpg
turtle_2_by_novakillz-dcm6o4x.jpg

They dont look brand new to me but they dont look old. I just want to make sure that he wont get an infection, and will be able to take care of himself when I put him back out there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor thing. Looks like it may be male, so won't need that back leg for nest digging. I think the wounds are healed enough that it can be released. Try to release it close to where it was originally picked up.

Nova51

Georgia
Poor thing. Looks like it may be male, so won't need that back leg for nest digging. I think the wounds are healed enough that it can be released. Try to release it close to where it was originally picked up.
It was picked up close to a busy highway. Would it be ok to release it somewhere else where I've seen another one like this that was doing great?

Nova51

Georgia
looks like the leg might already be infected. Poor guy.
So would I need to contact a rescue? Since you think its infected? I tried contacting a lady close to me but she hasnt gotten back with me yet.

Nova51

Georgia
I have all the proper lighting for him. Do I need to keep him for a couple days and see if that redness on his leg goes away?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
run him through a round of injectable antibiotics , 10 days , feed him good , then let him go where he was found , very possible he'll survive as is , a little help will increase that chance ……..jmo

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
You'd be surprised at some of the horrific injuries wild turtles have recovered from. I wouldn't put it back until the wound is no longer raw, as raw flesh attracts flies, then fly eggs, then maggots.

I stumbled across these photos. This poor little guy was thrown off an apartment complex. Just goes to show how hardy turtles / tortoises can be. IMG_4999.jpg
IMG_5002.jpg

P.C. / Amanda Sargent

Last edited:

Bridgebob

Arlington, Virginia
They heal very fast. Eastern Box Turtles just need a little space with appropriate bedding and a pond/bath. A wood box works best.

My turtle has a mangled rear foot and an amputated front foot and is doing fine. In fact she is getting to be a *****!
When I pick her up she hisses and puffs at me and pees on me! I tried to feed her this morning and she wouldn't eat.
These Turtles will heal in a few months. They don't need much pampering.

They need sunlight UV/Blacklight though.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
They heal very fast. Eastern Box Turtles just need a little space with appropriate bedding and a pond/bath. A wood box works best.

My turtle has a mangled rear foot and an amputated front foot and is doing fine. In fact she is getting to be a *****!
When I pick her up she hisses and puffs at me and pees on me! I tried to feed her this morning and she wouldn't eat.
These Turtles will heal in a few months. They don't need much pampering.

They need sunlight UV/Blacklight though.
Turtles and tortoises don't "hiss", that is the noise of air escaping when they pull their head in fast, they pee because of emotions, you scared it so the reaction is to pull the head in fast (making that hissing noise), they lose their urine because they are afraid. This is a 3 yr old thread...shoulda been closed. Always look at the date it was first posted.