Found a box turtle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
Okay, my grandma found an injured box turtle. I know the care needs but he won't come out of his shell at all. I tried soaking him & he didn't come out. What should I do?

stinax182

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Springfield, Massachusetts
how is it injured? if it is a severe wound you may need to take it to a vet. if it is a small wound the best thing to do is try to clean the wound with a qtip, soap and water, maybe apply some antibiotic ointment depending where the wound is located. if you cannot clean the wound because the turtle will not come out of the shell, try putting it in a box with some damp paper towel and cover the box...leave her alone for awhile and she may calm down. do not let her get cold but i don't think you need a light if your home if warm enough. if she's wild and injured, she may be in shock and handling her and forcing her out of her shell could stress her out more. i am not a vet but i do have experience with injured animals.

Sent from my MB886 using TortForum mobile app

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Provide us some pictures or details to better advise what steps to take.

Of course a vet is always a good idea

torilovestorts

5 Year Member
I looked at the wounds & they weren't that bad... It seemed fine & so I just put him in the woods & kept the dogs in for a while until I knew he was gone. He was bleeding a little though. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.