Inflatable Outdoor Enclosure

algoroth1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Ok, I thought this was crazy at first but please give it a chanceo_O
Ponce, our mee (brown mountain tortoise) is almost two years old. His carapace measure about 7in. by 5in. and he's big enough to live permanently outdoors here in South Florida. However, he's not yet big enough to roam the entire yard freely. I did not want to spend a lot of time building an enclosure he will outgrow in a year when, if he continues to grow at this rate, he could be a good foot long and big enough to roam and graze in the yard unsupervised.

I discovered a medium strength vinyl three level inflatable swimming pool made by INTEX. I assumed it would not be adequate, but decided to invest $25 or so to experiment. The pool is 10ft. by about 5ft. And once I'd inflated all three levels I found it stands nearly 2ft. in height. The air closure on each level is heavy duty and after inflation I left it outside for a few days to see if any of the levels lost air or shrank substantially during cool evenings after hot days. Size and inflation remained constant, though I still check them daily. I also figure that if one level goes down there are two that will maintain enough height to keep Ponce in.

I opened the drain on the bottom and spread 8 cubic feet of cypress mulch that gave a depth of an average of 3-5 inches. I may need to punch more holes in the floor if it gets too soggy, though mee's according to Vic Morgan have been known to live in mud.

Since mee's need lots of shade I placed the habitat under spreading palm and hibiscus trees. Add water dishes, food dish a hide and APonce Outside 5 2014.jpg locasia plants (mee's and mep's love to eat them and they also give great shade) and voila--an outdoor habitat in less than an hour. Just add Ponce (did that yesterday). He dug down and hid in the mulch overnight but today I found him surveying his new digs. Here's a photo. Comments positive or critical are very much appreciated. BTW, his claws do not gain traction on the vinyl sides so he should not be able to climb out.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I love thinking,out of the box. I love your idea. I can't think of any reason why it won't work great for you. Oh, wait, one thing, if he pops holes in it, it may be a problem. Other then that, it's great.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Hey Wellington. Yep, I thought about that and I suppose there is that risk, but only if he bites the sides, which isn't likely. He does seem to like to wedge himself between the bottom level of the wall and the substrate, probably for security. That's why I checked to see if his claws could get traction and poke a hole. The material is pretty tough, but we'll see. Thanks for your comment and all the best!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
That is creativity at it's best.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
What about wind? That would be my biggest worry. And I have this pool stashed somewhere in my garage. :)

Elohi(Earth)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I like it, too. Here the wind would be a worry.

StuMac

5 Year Member
Excellent idea. Great use of a low cost item instead of spending a fortune. It's great when we get the creative juices flowing! I'm sure the fact it is rubber with also help with heat, so Ponce is in for a treat living there!

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Thanks for all the responses so far! As far as thinking out of the box and creativity go, necessity is the mother of invention. I was just looking for the simplest but safe answer to a need. Of course the pool is truly "out of the box"o_O. Jacqui and Elohi, regarding wind, the weight of the pool is substantial but when you add the mulch you're looking at over 100 lbs. minimum. The habitat is next to an eight foot privacy fence which also provides some protection. Of course, if a hurricane raises it ugly head Ponce comes indoors. StuMac, thanks for the observation and the compliment. Same to Lisa, Erin and bouaboua. Shell, we've got more than enough real alligators down here, so adding an inflatable would be coals to Newcastle;). Will be watching how it holds up over time and will plan to post updates. My best to all.

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Thanks for all the responses so far! As far as thinking out of the box and creativity go, necessity is the mother of invention. I was just looking for the simplest but safe answer to a need. Of course the pool is truly "out of the box"o_O. Jacqui and Elohi, regarding wind, the weight of the pool is substantial but when you add the mulch you're looking at over 100 lbs. minimum. The habitat is next to an eight foot privacy fence which also provides some protection. Of course, if a hurricane raises it ugly head Ponce comes indoors. StuMac, thanks for the observation and the compliment. Same to Lisa, Erin and bouaboua. Shell, we've got more than enough real alligators down here, so adding an inflatable would be coals to Newcastle;). Will be watching how it holds up over time and will plan to post updates. My best to all.

Ha ha, I know! I visited Florida when I was 11 years old and I went to GatorLand - it was amazing!

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
UPDATE--
He hid in a corner for nearly 48 hours. Didn't come out for food or drink. I got impatient so I added some Mazuri pellets to the food dish this morning. In ten minutes he was out, polished off the Mazuri and was drinking from one of his water dishes. Continuing to hope that this is a successful experiment from which all outdoor tort caretakers can benefit.

mikeh

5 Year Member
He is nice size for his age. Would you mind doing update on him and post photos, I'd like to compare him to my year and half old emys emys.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
2014-05-08 16.40.47.png 2014-05-08 16.44.12.png 2014-05-08 16.46.07.png 2014-05-08 16.48.40.png gimme dat!.jpg
He is nice size for his age. Would you mind doing update on him and post photos, I'd like to compare him to my year and half old emys emys.
Sure. Here are four pics from a few weeks ago when I had him roaming the yard. For size reference, the palm branch is around seven feet long. And for comparison, there he is at about 30 days on his six inch food dish.
View attachment 79343 View attachment 79344 View attachment 79345 View attachment 79346 View attachment 79347 View attachment 79343 View attachment 79344 View attachment 79345 View attachment 79346 View attachment 79347 View attachment 79343 View attachment 79344 View attachment 79345 View attachment 79346 View attachment 79347 Let's see some pics of your mee! All the best

mikeh

5 Year Member
He looks amazing! I really like how highly domed his shell is for Manoura. Big differences in shell shape. Although mine are nicely humped they are not domed like yours. They have more the round look. I wonder if they come from different locale. Another difference are the spurs on the front legs. The two here have huge front leg spurs. So far the spurs lay flat, not exhibiting spur coning.

They are 16-17 months old, just over 6 1/4" SLC and heavy as bricks. I have them exactly one year. They grew 2 1/2" since then. They now weigh around 700grams from 90grams when they arrived.

For size reference the food dish is 13" across.

Attachments

• 1399609056758.jpg
    1399609056758.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 67
  • 1399609142998.jpg
    1399609142998.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 1399609368903.jpg
    1399609368903.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 1399609892671.jpg
    1399609892671.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 64

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
He looks amazing! I really like how highly domed his shell is for Manoura. Big differences in shell shape. Although mine are nicely humped they are not domed like yours. They have more the round look. I wonder if they come from different locale. Another difference are the spurs on the front legs. The two here have huge front leg spurs. So far the spurs lay flat, not exhibiting spur coning.

They are 16-17 months old, just over 6 1/4" SLC and heavy as bricks. I have them exactly one year. They grew 2 1/2" since then. They now weigh around 700grams from 90grams when they arrived.

For size reference the food dish is 13" across.

Mikeh,
Yours look great as well!
Where are you located? Are your mees outoors all the time? Yes, mine has exhibited "pine-coning" on the front legs for a while. Where are yours from? Ponce is second generation captive bred from Vic Morgan here in Florida. I'm very interested in differences that occur in development that might be traced to environment as well as food. All the best,
Ron

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Further Update--three weeks in-
I've added a shade screen over half the enclosure since too much sunlight was hitting most of the area at mid-day. Ponce has surveyed the area and determined his favorite hangouts. I discovered that too much water is being retained under the cypress substrate so I punched a number of drain holes in the vinyl floor to let out any standing water (it will never be a swimming pool again:eek:). The inflated sections all seem to be holding well. Thus far this looks like a usable outdoor enclosure solution. Will try to post more photos over the next few weeks.