Indoor Tortoise Enclosure

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
I have built an 8x3 enclosure. Ply wood and I sealed and painted the interior.

Now pricing more lighting and substrates. I want to vary them. Plus find a " wading pond" for him. I'd like to use natural plants for him to lay under etc.. Suggestions or pics would be great!
✌️

Rylatts

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I have built an 8x3 enclosure. Ply wood and I sealed and painted the interior.

Now pricing more lighting and substrates. I want to vary them. Plus find a " wading pond" for him. I'd like to use natural plants for him to lay under etc.. Suggestions or pics would be great!
✌️

As far as plants go i used wheatgrass which seemed to grow really well in the enclosure (Inside) other than that i tried putting some mixed seeds down and they all sprouted but they don't seem to do much else other than the white clover that's growing quite well. could you maybe make your own wading pond?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Plants grow better in pots or seed trays than in the substrate.

If you sink the pot into the substrate, you can easily swap the plant out when it's past its best and replace with something else.

Use a windowsill to grow more plants and as recovery space for plants that you pull out of the enclosure. :)

Rylatts

UK
Plants grow better in pots or seed trays than in the substrate.

If you sink the pot into the substrate, you can easily swap the plant out when it's past its best and replace with something else.

Use a windowsill to grow more plants and as recovery space for plants that you pull out of the enclosure. :)

Is it okay to use compost in the pots then? my tortoise tends to eat the soil :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Is it okay to use compost in the pots then? my tortoise tends to eat the soil :(
Is your tort deliberately eating the compost? Or is it accidental ?

Using bigger plants, and removing them before they're eaten to the ground, usually prevents accidental ingestion.

The compost or soil used must not contain vermiculite (white bits) as many torts try to eat the vermiculite in their search for calcium rich foods.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Also when you sink the pot into the substrate, have a lip of the pot showing above the substrate. Your tort is less likely to stomp the plant and more likely to eat only the bits that overhang edges.

Rylatts

UK
Is your tort deliberately eating the compost? Or is it accidental ?

Using bigger plants, and removing them before they're eaten to the ground, usually prevents accidental ingestion.

The compost or soil used must not contain vermiculite (white bits) as many torts try to eat the vermiculite in their search for calcium rich foods.

He seems to deliberately go for the soil/compost, when hes outside he heads for the flower beds and tries to eat the soil :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He seems to deliberately go for the soil/compost, when hes outside he heads for the flower beds and tries to eat the soil :(
The whole point of growing plants in pots is so that they can grow in proper compost or soil. Growth is less successful in substrate.

Do you use cuttlebone? It might be worth seeing if having one will distract your tort from his bad habit!

Rylatts

UK
The whole point of growing plants in pots is so that they can grow in proper compost or soil. Growth is less successful in substrate.

Do you use cuttlebone? It might be worth seeing if having one will distract your tort from his bad habit!

Unfortunately i already have a cuttlebone in there, it distracted him for a while but because hes young i think he likes to try new things :)

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
I'd like to put a taller bigger "tree like" plant in there for him to go under for shade etc..
Suggestions or a safe list of enclosure plants?

Thanks all!

Rylatts

UK
Just wanted to make a quick update on the enclosure :)

I decided to remove everything and add pond liner to the bottom, I'm very glad I did then as there was nothing to seal the wood from the damp substrate which I didn't have when it was first built, :)
IMG_20160816_172325.jpg
I had a mad idea of keeping the substrate damp by laying pipe down with small holes in then attach a small usb submersible pump in a glass jar that is powered by a solar panel to only have it running for a little bit each day. (as I live in the UK not very often)
IMG_20160816_182202.jpg
Just tested it out today by plugging it in to the mains and it seems to work okay :)
Bit uneven but still effective :)
IMG_20160816_185405.jpg
Hope you all enjoy!
Open to suggestions!

Also as you can see in the pictures there are digital thermometers mounted to the left and right of the enclosure to check the temps.​

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my hand built tortoise table along with his hide that i created :)
hope you all enjoy!

I have more plants growing as we speak, not very visible in the photos as they have only just started to come through.

(Please tell me if anything is wrong)

View attachment 181086
View attachment 181087
View attachment 181088
View attachment 181089

Also here is Sheldon the spur-thighed tortoise:

View attachment 181090

Sheldon is hansome!! The table looks great..we awaiting a mix seed grass from carolina pet supply...