Indoor Tortoise Enclosure

Rylatts

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my hand built tortoise table along with his hide that i created :)
hope you all enjoy!

I have more plants growing as we speak, not very visible in the photos as they have only just started to come through.

(Please tell me if anything is wrong)

IMG_20160723_081602576.jpg
IMG_20160723_081557057.jpg
IMG_20160723_081540520_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160723_081514103_HDR.jpg

Also here is Sheldon the spur-thighed tortoise:

IMG_20160711_181929006.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my hand built tortoise table along with his hide that i created :)
hope you all enjoy!

I have more plants growing as we speak, not very visible in the photos as they have only just started to come through.

(Please tell me if anything is wrong)

View attachment 181086
View attachment 181087
View attachment 181088
View attachment 181089

Also here is Sheldon the spur-thighed tortoise:

View attachment 181090

A very warm welcome to the forum to you and to your cute little tort! :<3:

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread, and the section on enclosures. If in doubt ask ANY question.:)

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
awesome job with having multiple thermometers! great way to get a good sense of the temp gradient youre trying to create

beautiful tortoise :D

fully covering the hide might be a good idea

Rylatts

UK
awesome job with having multiple thermometers! great way to get a good sense of the temp gradient youre trying to create

beautiful tortoise :D

fully covering the hide might be a good idea

Thank you for your feedback, I was considering putting a roof over it. The idea of the house is to be obviously good for the tortoises needs and also to look like a hobbit hole :) my idea was to put a grass roof over the top! I want to do real grass but maybe AstroTurf would be easier? Is it safe to use AstroTurf does anyone know? He shouldn't be able to reach it but just incase.

Also here is a amusing picture of him trying to climb out of the window :)
IMG_20160723_101356780.jpg

KaitlinKeefe_

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Castleton, VT
i dont think astroturf would be an issue. maybe just wash it before you put it in the enclosure (especially if the tort cant really reach it). what a little cutie!!

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
You know, using a plastic planter to grow a living roof might be cool. You could then swap roofs every so often to feed the tort.

Rylatts

UK
You know, using a plastic planter to grow a living roof might be cool. You could then swap roofs every so often to feed the tort.

Yeah was thinking along those lines, my idea was to have something to contain the soil and then plant grass seeds in there :) the roof isn't flat so something plastic isn't going to fit well :( needs to have some flex to it.

Also I had the idea as I'm growing plants in the substrate I wanted to fix up some sort of automated watering system.

Think I might be going a tad crazy with his enclosure.

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
Do you waterproof the bottoms of your homemade wooden enclosures?

Rylatts

UK
Do you waterproof the bottoms of your homemade wooden enclosures?

I didn't use anything to waterproof the bottom, I probably should of consider the substrate is always a bit damp. Haven't had any problems yet though :) you could always paint it to seal it, just make sure it's bone dry before you put anything on it.

Eatapeach

5 Year Member
How do you maintain humidity?
I'm in process of researching/building a new indoor enclosure. He's too big for the current room/setup.
I'm doing an open 8x3 enclosure. The humidity in the finished basement is around 60% with a dehumidifier on in the summer...
Somewhat drier in the winter..not much. For a Redfoot,that's as midge low.
What's the best way to maintain it a little higher in a set up like this?

I have more questions,just don't want to blast them all at once.

Thank you✌️

Rylatts

UK
How do you maintain humidity?
I'm in process of researching/building a new indoor enclosure. He's too big for the current room/setup.
I'm doing an open 8x3 enclosure. The humidity in the finished basement is around 60% with a dehumidifier on in the summer...
Somewhat drier in the winter..not much. For a Redfoot,that's as midge low.
What's the best way to maintain it a little higher in a set up like this?

I have more questions,just don't want to blast them all at once.

Thank you✌️

That's what everyone is here for, go for it :)

I'm using coco coir as my substrate and it really holds the moisture, I put it in the enclosure just over a week ago and it's still damp with odd patches on the surface drying. Therefor by spraying the surface with water the humidity will stay up, it doesn't need to be done every day just now and then :)

Hope this helps!