Just wanted to share my tortoise enclosure.

Benanda

Hi! I am new here. I just wanted to share my tortoise table. We created a French villa for him. The house was created out of wood and faced with white grout to resemble stucco and resist mold. I used doll house shingles for the roof, they were hot glued into place. I bought a Jade bonsai tree for his courtyard which he pretty much ignores and I am happy to say is thriving with the lamps.

tortoise house 1.jpg tortoise house 2.jpg tortoise house 3.jpg my tortoise and marigold.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That may just be the fanciest home I've ever seen!
I'm doubtful that your tortoise will appreciate the thought that went into that place.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks very nice. Does he have a larger outdoor enclosure too?

That water bowl worries me. We had a member come home to find her russian tortoise drowned in a bowl similar to that.

Benanda

Thanks everyone! I know he doesn't appreciate the details it but It is really more for me since I have to look at it everyday and I figured it he is getting what he needs out of it so why not make it a little nice for myself.
There really isn't much water in it, under 3/4 of an inch. He seems to avoid it anyway so I have no concerns about him drowning. He's a juvenile and pretty strong to boot and I have no question that he could get out easily.
He will have an outdoor shelter and it is in the planning stages, I just got him about a month ago and I am waiting for it to stop raining.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks everyone! I know he doesn't appreciate the details it but It is really more for me since I have to look at it everyday and I figured it he is getting what he needs out of it so why not make it a little nice for myself.
There really isn't much water in it, under 3/4 of an inch. He seems to avoid it anyway so I have no concerns about him drowning. He's a juvenile and pretty strong to boot and I have no question that he could get out easily.
He will have an outdoor shelter and it is in the planning stages, I just got him about a month ago and I am waiting for it to stop raining.

Just to clarify what Tom said about that waterer: Tortoises don't bend. When they try to climb up steep sides (as opposed to sloping sides) they sometimes get overbalanced and tip over backwards, landing on their back in the water. Even a tiny amount of water will drown a tortoise that can't raise his head out of it because he's on his back.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Benanda, and welcome to the Forum! You've done a great and artistic job building a beautiful habitat for your tortoise. It would be a welcome addition to any living room!

Killerrookie

OMG that is so cool and creative!!! It reminds me of Italy or The lord of the Rings for some reason. Very beautiful enclosure and tortoise!!!!

4jean

5 Year Member
New York State
Very creative and beautiful, thanks for sharing it with us! I hope you will post your outside enclosure too when it is finished. I would love to see what other creative ideas you have!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
That is very creative. Tortoises love to dig so if you make the substrate nice and deep in his little house he will like that. I'm really surprised he hasn't gone after the Jade yet, my Russian tortoise destroys hers on a regular basis :) please reconsider the water bowl, I know it sounds kind of nitpicky but it truly is dangerous. A plant saucer works well and is cheap, you can get a plastic or terra-cotta one. You obviously have some good building skills, consider adding more space to the indoor enclosure if possible. I would love to see what other ideas you could come up with. I envy creative people. The bigger the enclosure the more activity you will see. And as I like to suggest almost every time, add more plants. You can put them in little pots because he may destroy them. Russians are hard on their enclosures but they are a fun tortoise.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Your set up is beautiful and great for the tortoise. You're very talented.
Agree with changing the water bowl. The best situation is one he can easily walk into; soak, drink and easily walk out of.
I love the enclosure!!!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Better then my house! ! ! ! WOW! ! !

LoriS

5 Year Member
could possibly be the cutest house I've ever seen : )