Indoor Suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
My red foot is kept in a 40 gallon breeder tank so he has plenty of room to walk around even with his log in there....

i've heard they enjoy some plant life in there habitats and was wondering what types would be ideal to put in there without doing any harm

also

i use the coconut bark that you place in water and it turns into mulch and he seems to like it but its seems harder for him to try to burrow i've heard cypress mulch was ideal is this true?

tinkerbell1189

5 Year Member
My tortoise loves rocket, I was going to try growing some in her enclosure for her to munch on.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Coir is good. Cypress mulch can be used at the same time: either sprinkled over the coir, or in part of the enclosure. It does work well to have more than one substrate.
Look at this for plant ideas inside or out:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp
Look at Terryo's enclosures for RF's too for plant ideas.
Spider plant, Christmas cactus, Aloe, Prayer plant are some safe houseplants, and things like Creeping Jenny, Scotch moss can make it inside with the lighting and moisture.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Awesome im going to get him some plants now and thanks for the tip about more than one substrate im sure he will appreciate that :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
So your wanting to do something like this:

041-2.jpg

This one has violets, pothos vine and hostas. I like hens and chicks along with airplane (spider) plants, too. Then I also plant seeds for greens and melon. A few Rose of sharon plants are nice. Basically you can plant any plant in there that you could outside. Only limits are heights, width, and lighting needs of the plants. I plant no plant that I don't care if it gets eaten or more likely stomped to death. Leaving them in pots makes it easy to keep changing them out.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
Jacqui said:
So your wanting to do something like this:

041-2.jpg

This one has violets, pothos vine and hostas. I like hens and chicks along with airplane (spider) plants, too. Then I also plant seeds for greens and melon. A few Rose of sharon plants are nice. Basically you can plant any plant in there that you could outside. Only limits are heights, width, and lighting needs of the plants. I plant no plant that I don't care if it gets eaten or more likely stomped to death. Leaving them in pots makes it easy to keep changing them out.

yeah something like this would be ideal so he doesnt get too bored cause he has a lot of room to walk in his 40gallon breeder tank ...thanks for the ideas!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Be careful about keeping the substrate too wet. When I first got my Cherry Head, I kept everything really wet, and she got a fungus. Now I plant all the plants right in their little pots and just water them, not the substrate. I water all the plants and mist them. The only thing I keep moist is the moss inside the hide. I wet it with hot water and squeeze it out and fluff it up. Also if you're using a heat emitter don't put any plants directly under it or the leaves will burn and the plant will dry out.
Jacqui your enclosure looks so pretty. I love it.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You said your guy is about 5"? You may want to plant your stuff in pots to protect it from being bulldozed- these guys can wreck a nicely planted habitat, especially if space is a little tight.

I like cypress for a lot of things, but if you are going to try to grow something you may want to consider a bioactive substrate- but they are not as much fun in a smaller space.

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
just picked up some african violets, spider plant, coleus and moss about to make a better enviornment will be posting before n after pics soon

also bought plexi glass for the top to help keep in humidity! you guys are teaching me a lot so far so THANKS!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Have fun. Think about keeping the plants in their pots, submerged in the substrate. Might have a chance of surviving then.
Looking forward to pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.