Indoor Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

animal_lvr

5 Year Member
What is the best set up for winter for my baby eastern box turtle? Right now he is in a large rubbermaid container but I am concerned that with winter coming in a few months that set up will not be adequate for him. I am worried about him being too cold. I was looking at terrariums in petsmart yesterday. I was thinking of something like this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11363667 However, I am not sure if this will keep the humidity in like it should. I would appreciate any help or feedback. He is my first turtle and I want to get a headstart on this so I have his place set up before it starts getting cooler. I am unsure of his exact age but he is tiny (about 2 1/2 inches) & under a year old.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I think an aquarium works fine, and cheap too. You'll need heat and uvb light. I try to keep mine from about 70 to 90 degrees. I like 40 gal long for it's size. You can also use one that size for multiple babies.

Adão

5 Year Member
Portugal
I'm not sure if glass is an appropriate enclosure for him... That could stress him out.

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
a 40 gallon breeder, a huge plastic bin or that Terafauna habitat, I think its all good. What you need to make sure you have are heat lamps, UVB lamps and if you care concern with humidity use moist substrate like coco coir and add a humidifier or humid hide box. :)

bmt123

5 Year Member
I would go to the store and get the biggest plastic storage container I could find. This will be the cheapest and the best for your turtle it will not look to good though.

stillframeband

10 Year Member!
Arkansas
When mine was a hatchling, I used a 40gal tank and lined the outside bottom quarter of it with cork; it didn't look bad to us, and prevented the possibility of stress for him. I never had any problem with nose rubbing, ect. Of course, others don't seem to have problems even without that, just a thought if you'd like to use one but are worried about it! :)

Hunahpu

5 Year Member
Colorado
I also don't care for glass. I've had problems in the past with the glass getting really hot in the basking area. I'm a big fan of the plastic bins too (my 3 year old TTTB is in one currently) and I haven't had any problems with humidity. Since yours is still a baby, take a look at the under the bed storage containers. They tend to have more floor space than some of the other bins, and your baby wouldn't be able to climb out. If you find humidity to be an issue, you can always cut out air holes from the lid and snap it on the enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.